Boy gets 18 months for ‘degrading beating’ of young girl


Advertise with us

WINNIPEG — The 13-year-old dragged his victim down two flights of stairs, then left her naked and semi-conscious with a footprint on the side of her face.

Read this article for free:


Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe with this special offer:

All-Access Digital Subscription

$1.50 for 150 days*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Pay $1.50 for the first 22 weeks of your subscription. After 22 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 per month. GST will be added to each payment. Subscription can be cancelled after the first 22 weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/07/2009 (4825 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

WINNIPEG — The 13-year-old dragged his victim down two flights of stairs, then left her naked and semi-conscious with a footprint on the side of her face.

The teen, now 14, assaulted the 13-year-old girl after the two were drinking with friends. They ended up alone in a Portage Avenue parkade stairwell.

He became enraged after the girl rejected his advances. He beat her and stomped her before leaving.

On Thursday, a youth court judge sentenced the teen to four more months in open custody and two months of supervision in the community after finding him guilty of the August 2008 sexual assault in downtown Winnipeg.

The judge called the victim "completely blameless" in the savage attack, which has left her with reduced hearing and post-traumatic stress disorder.

The girl wasn’t required to testify.

"There was no one who egged you on, no one who provoked you," the judge told the offender.

She called the attack a "serious violent offence" and said the teen showed little empathy for the girl during his trial.

"It was a senseless and degrading beating," the judge said.

The boy has lived in foster care with little contact with his biological family, court heard.

He has struggled with anger, alcohol abuse and problems with authority.

Police arrested him following the attack and he was released last September.

Two months later, however, the boy was back in custody after he violated his bail conditions by carrying weapons during a visit to his grandmother.

He also got rapped for breaching his curfew.

In jail, the boy has sought help and was assessed as a medium risk to reoffend. He has also resisted gangs who have tried twice to recruit him.

His lawyer told court that his client was drinking heavily for hours before the attack and being mocked by a group of other youths.

The judge ruled that the boy cannot return to his foster parents and needs to remain in custody. She said he requires extensive treatment and a better plan for how he will live outside of jail.

Inside jail, the teen will receive counselling.

The boy got an 18-month jail sentence for the sexual assault conviction, minus credit for about 250 days he’s already spent in jail.

He must also provide a DNA sample and appear in court before January to update the judge on his progress.

That includes attending school, abiding by a curfew and having no contact with the victim.

In addition, the boy received an order of supervised probation for his earlier breaches.


Report Error Submit a Tip


Advertise With Us