Family asking for inquiry over senior’s death in care home


Advertise with us

Despite a long battle with Alzheimer's disease, Frank Alexander was a strong man until the end.

Read this article for free:


Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe with this special offer:

All-Access Digital Subscription

$1.50 for 150 days*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Pay $1.50 for the first 22 weeks of your subscription. After 22 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 per month. GST will be added to each payment. Subscription can be cancelled after the first 22 weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 31/03/2011 (4159 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Despite a long battle with Alzheimer’s disease, Frank Alexander was a strong man until the end.

Even after suffering devastating brain injuries after he was pushed to the ground by another Alzheimer’s patient with a known tendency to violence, the 87-year-old war veteran clung to life for five days before dying on March 28.

“He was not a frail man,” youngest son Michael Alexander said at a press conference at Cropo Funeral Chapel today.

family photo Frank Alexander with his wife Tina.

The elder Alexander had only been in Parkview Place care home for three months when he was pushed by Joe McLeod, who had previously been in the Remand Centre for assaulting his wife.

While waiting to get their father into Deer Lodge, Alexander’s family had made the difficult decision to place him there fearing for his safety as his illness progressed.

Michael Alexander, who lives in Ottawa, visited his father at Parkview Place in early February. “He didn’t want to be there,” Alexander said. “It was ‘okay, let’s go home, I’m ready to go.’ But we needed to make sure he was in a safe environment.”

Michael Alexander is surrounded by family photos of his father Frank.

Now, the Alexander family is calling for an inquiry into how McLeod came to be placed amongst other residents at Parkview Place, despite his known tendency for violence.

Michael Alexander made it clear that his family did not blame McLeod for their father’s death.

“My family and I are praying for him,” Alexander said. “He just should not have been in that nursing home, and that’s not his fault.”

Instead, the family is hoping the case will spur change to keep seniors safe, especially as Canada’s population ages.

And they want the public to know who their dad was: a Second World War veteran, a devoted husband of 68 years, and a jovial man who strolled the halls of Parkview Place, cracking jokes and making friends with residents.

“I want to see action so something like this doesn’t happen again,” Michael said.

“My dad did not deserve to die like that.”

Melissa Martin

Melissa Martin

Melissa Martin reports and opines for the Winnipeg Free Press.

Report Error Submit a Tip


Advertise With Us

Top News