Victim’s phone records revealed at murder trial


Advertise with us

The last time Chad Davis’s cellphone was ever answered was Feb. 6, 2008, at 12:26 p.m.

Read this article for free:


Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe with this special offer:

All-Access Digital Subscription

$1.50 for 150 days*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles

*Pay $1.50 for the first 22 weeks of your subscription. After 22 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 per month. GST will be added to each payment. Subscription can be cancelled after the first 22 weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 06/02/2014 (3227 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The last time Chad Davis’s cellphone was ever answered was Feb. 6, 2008, at 12:26 p.m.

That was also the last day he was seen alive.

About an hour and a half earlier, text messages indicate Davis was meeting up with one of the men accused of killing him, a Winnipeg jury has seen.

“All further calls go directly to voicemail,” RCMP intelligence analyst Julie Tillotson testified at Corey Tymchyshyn and Kristopher Brincheski’s first-degree murder trial.

“There was no outgoing activity off that device after that time,” she said.

Homicide investigators tasked Tillotson with sifting through reams of Rogers and Telus cellphone data deemed relevant to the case.

Records dating from Feb. 1-20, 2008 were presented this week to jurors.

The records show that from Feb. 3 to 6, the phone linked to Davis went to voicemail just 16 times. After this date, all 186 calls received went directly to voicemail, Tillotson testified.

Police and prosecutors allege Davis was lured into a garage at 703 Prince Rupert Avenue and brutally killed, his body placed into a black plastic barrel and dumped in a lake near Lac du Bonnet, where it remained for months until it was discovered by cottagers.

The RCMP also tracked calls and texts for phones believed to be ones used by Tymchyshyn and Brincheski, who were partners in a roofing business.

Records show several calls and texts between the two men on the morning of Feb. 6, as well as several between Tymchyshyn and Davis.

There were nine communications that morning between Davis and Tymchyshyn, the records show. These included separate texts which said: “Call me before you come, Kirk might come by before you,” “bring a splif,” and “don’t bring poop here.”

Tymchyshyn and Brincheski also appear to have been in contact that morning, starting with an 28-second-long call from Brincheski’s wife’s landline at 8:30 a.m.

At 12:43 p.m., the records show Tymchyshyn’s phone sent a text to Brincheski’s wife’s cellphone.

“We will be in soon,” it said. At 12:48, Tymchyshyn’s phone sends another: “he’s wearing a hat don’t miss,” it said.

The paper records, however, show this curious “don’t miss” message was directed to a cellphone number with an 810 prefix. The Brincheski-related phone’s was 801.

Tillotson said the 810 number had never been dialled by Tymchyshyn’s phone before or after this day — it was the only time it appeared in the data she had.

At 7:14 p.m., someone sent a text to Davis’s phone, and it pinged off a cell tower located in the Selkirk-St. Andrews area, said Tillotson.

Tymchyshyn told missing persons investigators Davis had come to 703 Prince Rupert and left in a taxi, saying he was going out of town and needed to be picked up in a few days.

In the visit, Davis was seen texting on his phone, Tymchyshyn told police.

There’s a record that Davis sent a text at 12:41 p.m. that pinged off a tower on Raleigh Street. RCMP couldn’t produce the contents of that message.

At 1:24 on Feb. 7, Tymchyshyn’s phone sent a text: “not sure bro, all I know is he needs me to pick him up in a few days.” Both men have pleaded not guilty in Davis’s death and are presumed innocent.

Report Error Submit a Tip


Advertise With Us