August 21, 2017


15° C, Overcast

Full Forecast


Advertise With Us

Property owner testifies at Derksen trial

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 24/1/2011 (2400 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

WINNIPEG - Free Press court reporter Mike McIntyre will continue reporting live from the trial of Candace Derksen's accused killer on Monday.

The court heard today from:

  • Frank Wayne Alsip, owner of the Elmwood brickyard where 13-year-old Derksen's body was found,
  • Derek Blackman-Shaw, a retired police officer who was among the first to respond to Alsip's 911 call about the discovery,
  • Keith Cahoon, a retired police officer who was the acting street supervisory that day,
  • James Anis, a current member of Winnipeg Police Service who works in identification unit. He was not involved in the initial investigation but helped the Crown organize photo exhibits.

The jury was then told they didn't have to return until 2 p.m. Wednesday, as lawyers and the judge deal with an issue that has arisen.

Mark Edward Grant, 47, has pleaded not guilty to first-degree murder in Derksen's 1984 death.

Grant wasn't arrested until 2007 after DNA found at the crime scene was linked to him through advanced testing techniques.

Derksen was allegedly grabbed off the street on Nov. 30, 1984, bound with rope and left to freeze to death inside a shed. Her body was found on Jan. 17, 1985, following an exhaustive search that included hundreds of volunteers.

For more details on today's testimony, see Mike McIntyre's full story in Tuesday's Free Press.


Advertise With Us


Updated on Monday, January 24, 2011 at 10:35 AM CST: Adds details on what's expected in today's testimony.

12:59 PM: Corrects spelling error.

4:24 PM: Adds details about today's testimony.

The Winnipeg Free Press is not accepting comments on this story for legal reasons.

Why aren't comments accepted on this story? See our Commenting Terms and Conditions.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more