September 22, 2017

Winnipeg
12° C, A few clouds

Full Forecast

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

First Nation chiefs to lay out flood-compensation cases

Chiefs of two Manitoba First Nations at the centre of flooding disputes with Ottawa plan to lay out their sides of the argument Tuesday, the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs announced late Monday.

Dauphin River First Nation Chief John Stagg and Peguis First Nation Chief Glenn Hudson are to host a joint news conference at 12:15 p.m. Tuesday at the Brokenhead Ojibway Nation’s South Beach Casino, in Scanterbury, 73 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg.

Peguis is at the centre of federal audit this spring that claimed the band mismanaged millions in flood-compensation dollars.

Dauphin River is among four Interlake First Nations where hundreds of residents were evacuated to Winnipeg hotels a year ago due to floods. Ottawa says there are more evacuees in hotels now than were evacuated from the First Nations last year.

Subscribers Log in below to continue reading,
not a subscriber? Create an account to start a 30 day free trial.

Log in Create your account

Add a payment method

To read the remaining 5 words of this article.

Pay only 27¢ for others you wish to read.

Hope you enjoyed your trial.

Add a payment method

To read the remaining 5 words of this article.

Pay only 27¢ for others you wish to read.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 30/4/2012 (1970 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Chiefs of two Manitoba First Nations at the centre of flooding disputes with Ottawa plan to lay out their sides of the argument Tuesday, the Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs announced late Monday.

Dauphin River First Nation Chief John Stagg and Peguis First Nation Chief Glenn Hudson are to host a joint news conference at 12:15 p.m. Tuesday at the Brokenhead Ojibway Nation’s South Beach Casino, in Scanterbury, 73 kilometres northeast of Winnipeg.

A house is protected by a sandbag dike on the Peguis First Nation in April 2011.

WAYNE.GLOWACKI@FREEPRESS.MB.CA

A house is protected by a sandbag dike on the Peguis First Nation in April 2011.

Peguis is at the centre of federal audit this spring that claimed the band mismanaged millions in flood-compensation dollars.

Dauphin River is among four Interlake First Nations where hundreds of residents were evacuated to Winnipeg hotels a year ago due to floods. Ottawa says there are more evacuees in hotels now than were evacuated from the First Nations last year.

 

 

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.