What you need to know
Russ WyattCouncillor faces criminal charge: Transcona Coun. Russ Wyatt, who has been charged with a “serious sexual assault,” says he’s innocent. Ryan Thorpe reports on Wyatt’s tumultuous year.
- Compensation ‘concerning’: Crown Services Minister Cliff Cullen says the Tory government will speak with the boards of major Crown corporations about executive compensation. His statement follows Free Press revelations about an outgoing Manitoba Hydro executive paid nearly four times his former salary and two Manitoba Liquor & Lotteries executives who earned more than the corporation’s CEO. Larry Kusch reports.
- Lose limits, Pallister urges: Premier Brian Pallister says provinces should scrap limits on interprovincial transportation of alcohol for personal use. He sent a letter to Canada’s other premiers in advance of a meeting with them next week. The Supreme Court recently upheld a New Brunswick law a man was fined under for transporting beer and liquor from Quebec.
- Your forecast: There will be a mix of sun and cloud for most of the day, with a high of 29 C, humidex of 35, and wind from the west at 30 km/h gusting to 50.
In case you missed it
The house at 31 Petriw Bay is listed on the province’s latest public health protection reports of establishments convicted or closed for violations.‘Busier than Boston Pizza’: Kevin Rollason has more on illegal takeout services being run out of homes. Four such homes were listed on the province’s latest public health protection reports. “This was busier than Boston Pizza,” a resident who lives near one of the homes, on Petriw Bay, said.
- Sedaka songs: Randall King has a preview of Rainbow Stage’s season opener, Breaking Up Is Hard to Do. The Neil Sedaka-inspired fantasia begins tonight.
- Porn star busted: Adult film actor Stormy Daniels, who made international headlines after saying she had sex with U.S. President Donald Trump in 2006, was arrested at an Ohio strip club last night. A state law prohibits nude or semi-nude dancers letting patrons touch them. Daniels’ lawyer, Michael Avenatti, called the arrest a politically motivated “setup.”
- TV trophies: The 70th annual Emmy Awards will be announced at 10:30 a.m. Game of Thrones, This Is Us and The Handmaid’s Tale are expected to be among the nominees for best drama series, The Associated Press reports.
On this date
- July 12, 1990: A battle over a golf course near Oka, Que left one police officer dead; services to foster children were cut and staff laid off; Winnipeg's top bureaucrat sent a 7-page letter to council and the mayor over the creation of a city manager; and the Manitoba Law Reform Commission seeks public input over living wills.
Today's front page
The Free Press Head Start is published weekdays by 7 a.m.
Want to receive this as an email every morning?Subscribe to Head Start
By subscribing to the above e-mail alerts I agree to receive selected communications from Winnipeg Free Press, even if I have previously opted out from communications. E-mail preferences can be changed at any time under 'My Account->My Email Alerts'.