Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/10/2011 (3017 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs is forging ahead with a six-month boycott of Air Canada.
On Monday, AMC announced it would pursue the boycott after the airline "failed to adequately address" concerns about an internal airline memo that was leaked last month.
In a statement, the AMC said Air Canada’s memo "incited hatred in the popular media" against First Nations residents, and called on Air Canada executives to meet with the province’s chiefs.
"The lack of appropriate response requires more direct action to be taken by our First Nations and the public and therefore a call for the boycott is necessary," said AMC Grand Chief Nepinak.
The memo appeared to blame downtown safety problems on "approximately 1,000 displaced people from rural Manitoba" who were living in downtown hotels after experiencing environmental concerns in their homes.
Though the memo didn’t specify, most understood the reference to be linked to hundreds of residents of Lake St. Martin First Nation and other Interlake communities, who have been evacuated from their flooded-out homes since the spring.
"Air Canada’s irresponsible remarks have created a situation where First Nation people, driven from their homes, are now being held responsible for the crime in downtown Winnipeg," said AMC Grand Chief Derek Nepinak.
"It is time that business leaders realize that they have a responsibility to be good corporate citizens and be mindful of their social obligations."