Arts & Life
Canstar Community News
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 15/10/2013 (2463 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Opposition Leader Brian Pallister called on the NDP government today to call an election to defend its July 1 increase of the provincial sales tax.
Pallister said in the absence of a referendum on the tax hike, the Selinger government should instead allow Manitobans to voice their opinions on the tax at the ballot box.
"It did not receive a mandate to increase the PST," Pallister said. "It promised to not raise taxes and is proposing to do so now without making the case that it should and so the government must do one of two things: either call an referendum on the PST or call an election and let Manitobans decide.
"I think it’s the right thing for them to do."
The government has already tabled legislation that would allow it to raise the PST one point to eight per cent without the need for a referendum as outlined under The Balanced Budget Act. Bill 20 is to come up for a vote in the legislative assembly after the house resumes sitting Nov. 12.
The next provincial election is to be held April 19, 2016 should there be a federal election in the fall of 2015. The NDP is now half way through their mandate having won a fourth consecutive majority government in the Oct. 2011 general election.
Pallister said despite that, he believes an election should be called sooner than later.
He said the reason is because documents released last week by the Canadian Taxpayers Federation revealed the NDP ignored the advice of the government bureaucrats in raising the PST.
"That tells you the level to which this government has sunk," he said.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.
Updated on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 at 8:07 PM CDT: audio, photo added.