July 27, 2017


24° C, A few clouds

Full Forecast


Advertise With Us

Province warns flooding could contaminate water wells

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 25/3/2009 (3046 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Overland flooding could contaminate water wells, and damage to homes caused by spring run-off may not be covered by home insurance policies, the province warned today.

The Office of the Chief Medical Officer of Health issued a general boil-water advisory for any Manitobans with wells affected by overland flooding or spring run-off.

People should either boil their water before using it or find alternative supplies of drinking water until flooding subsides and water-quality test results are satisfactory, the province said in a press release.

 Water from flood-affected wells should be brought to a rolling boil for one minute prior to use for drinking and ice making, preparing beverages such as infant formula,  preparing food, and brushing teeth.

It is not necessary to boil tap water used for other household purposes such as showering, laundry, bathing or washing dishes.  For further information on wells and water testing,  call 204-945-5762 or visit  www.gov.mb.ca/health/publichealth/cmoh/water.html.

In addition to the well-water alert, the province reminded homeowners their insurance policies may not cover overland flooding.

The province’s Financial Institutions Regulation Branch issued a press release urging homeowners to educate themselves on the details of their property insurance with the assistance of their agent, broker or insurer.

In most instances, insurance policies do not cover overland flooding.  Even in communities not directly affected by flooding, homeowners may be surprised to discover they do not have sewer backup coverage.  In most cases, this coverage can be purchased as a rider on a property insurance policy, the province said.


Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on winnipegfreepress.com. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more