August 22, 2017


11° C, A few clouds

Full Forecast


Advertise With Us

Resident involved in pushing incident before attack that proved fatal, inquest hears

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 23/1/2014 (1306 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A week before 87-year-old Frank Alexander was pushed to the floor of his personal care home and later died, his attacker pushed another resident to the floor, an inquest heard today.

No action was taken to try and move 70-year-old Joe McLeod or to ask for more funding to help manage the resident whose aggressive behavior was escalating, Parkview Place executive director Don Solar testified at the inquest into Alexander’s death in March 2011.

McLeod was transferred to Parkview Place in October 2010 from the Winnipeg Remand Centre where he’d been locked up for 30 days after pushing and kicking his wife Rose who was badly cut.

The day after media reported on the Alzheimer’s sufferer being held in the lockup, Solar received calls from Winnipeg Regional Health Authority asking Parkview to consider admitting McLeod to the downtown care home. Solar told the WRHA officials there needed to be an assessment of McLeod first, and a social worker from Parkview took part in it. The social worker said McLeod appeared to be no different than any other Parkview resident with dementia and he was admitted to Parkview Place, Solar testified earlier.

Weeks after moving into a shared room in Parkview, McLeod wasn’t getting along with his roommate and had to be transferred to a private room. By Christmas time, McLeod’s aggressive behavior began to escalate. The retired welder who was physically strong attacked and threatened Parkview Place staff. In February, he went after a flooring installer who had to protect himself with a chair and police were called. The next day he went after a nurse and tried to attack her with a table. A week later, McLeod shoved a nurse into an elevator, choked her and pushed her face into the elevator buttons.

"This is potentially a life-threatening situation," Bill Gange, the lawyer for the Alexander family said to Solar.

"Did it not occur to you that by February 27 that Parkview Place could not handle Joe McLeod?" Gange asked.

"In retrospect I would say we should’ve taken quicker action with Mr. McLeod."

On March 17, 2011, McLeod shoved a resident to the floor, the inquest heard. On March 24, 2011, McLeod pushed Alexander, who fell backwards and died of a head injury.

Solar’s testimony continues today.

Read more by Carol Sanders.


Advertise With Us


Updated on Thursday, January 23, 2014 at 9:55 PM CST: Corrects date McLeod moved in to October 2010.

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more