July 12, 2020

24° C, Partly cloudy

Full Forecast

Close this


Advertise With Us

Victim's phone records revealed at murder trial

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 6/2/2014 (2348 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The last time Chad Davis’s cellphone was ever answered was Feb. 6, 2008, at 12:26 p.m.

That was also the last day he was seen alive.

About an hour and a half earlier, text messages indicate Davis was meeting up with one of the men accused of killing him, a Winnipeg jury has seen.

"All further calls go directly to voicemail," RCMP intelligence analyst Julie Tillotson testified at Corey Tymchyshyn and Kristopher Brincheski’s first-degree murder trial.

"There was no outgoing activity off that device after that time," she said.

Homicide investigators tasked Tillotson with sifting through reams of Rogers and Telus cellphone data deemed relevant to the case.

Records dating from Feb. 1-20, 2008 were presented this week to jurors.

The records show that from Feb. 3 to 6, the phone linked to Davis went to voicemail just 16 times. After this date, all 186 calls received went directly to voicemail, Tillotson testified.

Police and prosecutors allege Davis was lured into a garage at 703 Prince Rupert Avenue and brutally killed, his body placed into a black plastic barrel and dumped in a lake near Lac du Bonnet, where it remained for months until it was discovered by cottagers.

The RCMP also tracked calls and texts for phones believed to be ones used by Tymchyshyn and Brincheski, who were partners in a roofing business.

Records show several calls and texts between the two men on the morning of Feb. 6, as well as several between Tymchyshyn and Davis.

There were nine communications that morning between Davis and Tymchyshyn, the records show. These included separate texts which said: "Call me before you come, Kirk might come by before you," "bring a splif," and "don’t bring poop here."

Tymchyshyn and Brincheski also appear to have been in contact that morning, starting with an 28-second-long call from Brincheski’s wife’s landline at 8:30 a.m.

At 12:43 p.m., the records show Tymchyshyn’s phone sent a text to Brincheski’s wife’s cellphone.

"We will be in soon," it said. At 12:48, Tymchyshyn’s phone sends another: "he’s wearing a hat don’t miss," it said.

The paper records, however, show this curious "don’t miss" message was directed to a cellphone number with an 810 prefix. The Brincheski-related phone’s was 801.

Tillotson said the 810 number had never been dialled by Tymchyshyn’s phone before or after this day — it was the only time it appeared in the data she had.

At 7:14 p.m., someone sent a text to Davis’s phone, and it pinged off a cell tower located in the Selkirk-St. Andrews area, said Tillotson.

Tymchyshyn told missing persons investigators Davis had come to 703 Prince Rupert and left in a taxi, saying he was going out of town and needed to be picked up in a few days.

In the visit, Davis was seen texting on his phone, Tymchyshyn told police.

There’s a record that Davis sent a text at 12:41 p.m. that pinged off a tower on Raleigh Street. RCMP couldn’t produce the contents of that message.

At 1:24 on Feb. 7, Tymchyshyn’s phone sent a text: "not sure bro, all I know is he needs me to pick him up in a few days." Both men have pleaded not guilty in Davis’s death and are presumed innocent.



Advertise With Us

Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.

Comments are not accepted on this story because they might prejudice a case before the courts.

Why aren't comments accepted on this story? See our Commenting Terms and Conditions.


Advertise With Us