May 24, 2020

12° C, Light rain

Full Forecast

Help us deliver reliable news during this pandemic.

We are working tirelessly to bring you trusted information about COVID-19. Support our efforts by subscribing today.

No Thanks Subscribe

Already a subscriber?


Advertise With Us

WRHA official admits Sinclair spoke with triage aide

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 5/2/2009 (4126 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

One of Winnipeg's top health officials admits hospital security videos show Brian Sinclair wheeling himself into the triage desk line and speaking to a triage aide - just one day after he refuted video evidence showed Sinclair approached the triage desk.

Dr. Brock Wright, Winnipeg Regional Health Authority chief medical officer and senior vice-president of clinical services, came under fire Wednesday for refuting video evidence made public by Manitoba’s chief medical examiner Dr. Thambirajah Balachandra.

Balachandra officially called an inquest into Sinclair’s death and released a statement saying that a review of Health Sciences Centre’s security tapes found an unidentified man wheeled Sinclair into the ER and up to the triage desk around 3 p.m. Sept. 19, 2008.

Wright maintained Sinclair never formally presented himself to the triage desk and said he hasn’t watched the security tapes.

The WRHA released a statement this afternoon saying in light of Balachandra’s comments, Wright watched the security tapes for the first time today. Wright now says the video shows that Sinclair wheeled himself into the line at the triage desk where the triage nurse on duty was seeing one person ahead of him.

Wright then admitted "a triage aide then approached Mr. Sinclair, spoke with him and wrote something down on his clipboard. Mr. Sinclair is then seen wheeling himself into the waiting area. This is consistent with the findings of the internal administrative review."
Wright’s comments refute what health officials have said publicly in recent months.

Tory health critics allege health officials misled the public and let people believe Sinclair didn’t approach anyone for care while he was waiting to see a doctor.

Sinclair, a 45-year-old double-amputee, was found dead on Sept. 21, 2008 in the inner-city hospital’s ER after waiting there for 34 hours.


Advertise With Us

The Free Press would like to thank our readers for their patience while comments were not available on our site. We're continuing to work with our commenting software provider on issues with the platform. In the meantime, if you're not able to see comments after logging in to our site, please try refreshing the page.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.


Advertise With Us