August 23, 2017


10° C, Clear

Full Forecast


Advertise With Us

Plant employee lucky to be alive

Company's version of events differs from eyewitness

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 11/2/2014 (1288 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The worst part about losing part of his right arm in a horrific industrial accident last week is how it keeps playing over and over in his mind, Kiefer Lynxleg says from his hospital bed where he is recovering from two major surgeries.

It was the first day of operations at the long-delayed Plains Industrial Hemp Processing plant in Gilbert Plains and Lynxleg, 21, was working on a machine known as a hemp grinder.

Kiefer Lynxleg rests in a hospital bed after undergoing surgeries on his right arm.


Kiefer Lynxleg rests in a hospital bed after undergoing surgeries on his right arm.

Lynxleg said the machine he was assigned that day was the only machine in the plant without a guardrail.

"I tried to stop the machine from being clogged. But it was just too late. My fingers were wrapped up inside (it). The thing just picked me up like a rag doll," Lynxleg said from his hospital bed in Winnipeg.

Had Lynxleg not been wearing a hard hat, he's convinced the machine would have taken his neck and head, too.

"The only thing that saved me from going unconscious is my helmet. The helmet helped me from hitting my temple on the side of it. I was getting sucked in from the side. My head hit the side of the machine but my helmet stopped it," he said.

He was sucked up to his shoulder in seconds.

'I tried to stop the machine from being clogged. But it was just too late. My fingers were wrapped up inside (it). The thing just picked me up like a rag doll' -- Kiefer Lynxleg, 21

"I could hear everything that was happening around me. (A buddy) yelled my name. He ran around the side of my machine and turned it off."

Lynxleg said he recalled one worker bracing his feet, which at that point were swinging off the floor. It worked. The pressure pulling him in meant he couldn't breathe, he said.

Another worker dialed 911 and three workers took the machine apart as he screamed in pain.

"He kept yelling at us to get the machine off him... (The machine) is like a bunch of gears," said Ernest Brass, one of the workers there. "We had to take the bolts off, but the gears were heavy, about 100 pounds each, and we had to take five or six of them off him," Brass said.

Lynxleg stayed conscious until emergency workers arrived minutes later. He was rushed to Dauphin Hospital and immediately medevaced to Health Sciences Centre.

"By the time they got everything off of me, ah, I seen my machine, it was full of blood. Full of blood. My blood.

"I thought I was gone," Lynxleg said from his bed at Health Sciences Centre.

Workplace Safety and Health is investigating the accident, which occurred Feb. 2.

Provincial officials released few details about the incident, other than it was serious and the investigation is continuing.

"I can confirm that a Workplace Safety and Health investigation into the recent accident is ongoing," a spokeswoman said Tuesday.

The company's version of events is at odds with eyewitness reports of the accident.

Lynxleg and other workers had worked at the plant last fall and were familiar with the equipment.

This time, Lynxleg said it slipped his mind that the plant owner had warned him he was working on a new machine and the safety rail was absent. "There was no guardrail. He told us that face to face. (Plant owner) Robert (Jin) told us that... So, I said 'OK.' "

However, Jin's business assistant, Fred Embryk, contradicted Lynxleg's version of events.

Embryk insisted the hemp grinder automatically shut off as soon as Lynxleg's arm was caught and that it had been equipped with a safety rail.

Embryk said he believed the accident was the result of the worker's own negligence.

"Workplace safety made their report," Embryk said in an interview late last week. "The plant is ready to function."

The owner shut the plant down for a few days last week to make repairs on the machine but the plant was due to reopen this week, he said.

"Robert (Jin) is very, very upset. He's still shook up," Embryk said.

A former mayor of Grandview, a town 15 kilometres west of Gilbert Plains, Embryk said there's a lot riding on the plant. It has the support of area municipalities and the region's major hemp farmers.

However, as of Tuesday, the other workers had yet to decide to return to work at the plant.

And Lynxleg's parents and extended family have come to Winnipeg from their home on Tootinowaziibeeng, the First Nation where Lynxleg and three other workers were recruited. They're concerned about worker safety at the plant.

"It's been a shock to all the family," his grandmother, Jeanette Ironstand, said. "This is about workplace safety standards... Kiefer never did anything to anyone," she said. .

After two surgeries, Lynxleg has lost his right arm to the elbow. Surgeons will decide this week whether to amputate the rest of his arm.

Read more by Alexandra Paul.


Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more