Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/8/2014 (1402 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The Downtown BIZ is drawing heavy criticism for its decision to exclude three candidates from its upcoming mayoral debate.
The BIZ invited five candidates — Brian Bowman, Gord Steeves, Judy Wasylycia-Leis, Paula Havixbeck and Robert-Falcon Ouellette — but not the other three registered candidates: David Sanders, Mike Vogiatzakis and Michel Fillion.
The three excluded candidates said they were surprised and angered by the snub from the Downtown BIZ.
'I was invited to meet with the BIZ next week, and I just assumed I was invited to be in the debate, too'— mayoral candidate David Sanders
"I was so angry (Thursday morning), I walked down the street to the BIZ office where I ran into (executive director) Stefano Grande and told him, 'I want to talk to you,' " said Fillion, who lives and works downtown.
The Downtown BIZ debate is set for Sept. 10 at the Manitoba Hydro building.
Grande said the decision was made to invite only five candidates because of time constraints and because it would have been unwieldy and ineffective to include all of them.
"The reality is, there are only three, four, five top candidates," Grande said, adding the five were chosen based on their policy statements.
'The reality is, there are only three, four, five top candidates'— Stefano Grande of the Downtown BIZ, which is hosting the mayoral debate that is under fire for excluding three candidates
"There could be 15 candidates, and we couldn't put on an effective forum with more than five," Grande said, adding any decision to add more candidates would be made by the BIZ board. He said previous mayoral debates also excluded candidates.
The first mayoral candidates forum of this election campaign was hosted by the St. Boniface Francophone Chamber of Commerce in mid-June, and all declared candidates — seven at the time — were invited and participated.
Vogiatzakis said the BIZ is demonstrating the same privileged attitude that plagues city hall — deciding who is important and ignoring the rest.
"I've been invited to 15 different forums and debates between now and election day, and those groups don't have a problem with inviting all the candidates," Vogiatzakis said.
"I was invited to meet with the BIZ next week, and I just assumed I was invited to be in the debate, too," Sanders said.
Sanders said he was told he was not invited because the decision on whom to invite had been made before he registered his campaign.
"That shouldn't make a difference," Sanders said. "There's still plenty of time."
Being excluded rankled Fillion, adding he's a Downtown BIZ member whose business, a talent-booking agency, pays a levy to the BIZ.
"Of all the candidates, I am the only one who lives and works downtown... I'm a member of the BIZ, yet they exclude me," Fillion said. "I have lived downtown for eight years. No one understands the issues better than I do, yet I'm not allowed to participate."
Grande said the BIZ is meeting one-on-one with all the candidates to find out their positions on downtown issues, adding the excluded candidates will also be given an opportunity to answer the same questions put to the other five at the debate.
Aldo Santin is a veteran newspaper reporter who first carried a pen and notepad in 1978 and joined the Winnipeg Free Press in 1986, where he has covered a variety of beats and specialty areas including education, aboriginal issues, urban and downtown development. Santin has been covering city hall since 2013.
Updated on Friday, August 22, 2014 at 6:45 AM CDT: Adds image