Stonewall RCMP are asking for the public's help to locate a missing 16-year-old girl from the rural municipality of Headingley.
Victoria Harlow was last seen around 11:30 p.m. on Mar. 31on Dodds Road in Headingley, RCMP said. She was reported missing Apr. 1.
Victoria is 5’5” in height, with red-brown hair and brown eyes.
Police and family are concerned for her well-being, and are asking anyone with information to call Stonewall RCMP at 204-467-5015, call Crime Stoppers anonymously at 1-800-222-8477, or leave a secure tip online at www.manitobacrimestoppers.com.
An employee at a Superstore location on Regent Ave. in Winnipeg has received a presumptive positive test result for COVID-19, according to an email sent out by the company Friday.
The employee has not been in store since Mar. 22, the company said.
In response, the store was immediately closed to undergo a deep-clean and sanitation, the company wrote, and is expected to re-open on Saturday.
Superstore also plans to work with Manitoba’s public health authority to investigate the employee’s recent shifts and direct contacts, who will be asked to stay home and self-isolate, the email stated.
Winnipeg theatre vet Kimberley Rampersad has taken on an exciting new role: associate artistic director of the Shaw Festival.
The news came just a few days after Rampersad was awarded a Merritt theatre award for best direction of the Neptune Theatre production of The Color Purple, a job she repeated for a different RMTC/Citadel Theatre production this past fall.
Last year, Rampersad served as an intern artistic director at Shaw before she was elevated to the role of associate artistic director.
In addition to her training as a dancer and actor, Rampersad also has a degree in political science from the University of Manitoba.
Seven of the nine residents of the Betel Home in Gimli who were tested for COVID-19 have tested negative, the provincial chief health officer said today.
Dr. Brent Roussin said he is still waiting for the results for two other residents tested after a health-care worker at the home tested positive for COVID-19 on Wednesday. The nine residents, who may have been exposed to the virus, were all tested to see if they'd been infected.
Long-term care home residents are among the most at-risk of succumbing to the virus.
Winnipeg’s low-income bus pass, originally scheduled to launch on April 1, will be delayed indefinitely as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, according to a release from the Social Planning Council on Friday.
In response, the release said, community organizations are calling for Winnipeg Transit to follow the steps of at least 15 major Canadian cities in adopting rear entry boarding and no-fare policy.
The Winnipeg Transit Service centres are temporarily closed, and while the city plans to begin accepting low-income pass applications on May 1, it is unclear when the passes will be made available.
The low-income pass would provide a 30 per cent discount on monthly passes to qualifying families, and would cost $71.75 monthly, according to the release.
A man arrested in connection to incidents that occurred in multiple municipalities outside Winnipeg on Wednesday has been charged with multiple Criminal Code offences, RCMP said in a statement released Friday.
Tristan Michael Mariash, 26, will face charges including several property related offences, multiple driving related offences, assaulting a police officer, resisting arrest, possessing a weapon, and multiple charges for failing to comply with release conditions, RCMP said.
Mariash has been remanded into custody, and charges are pending for a 27-year-old female also arrested during the incident, according to the release.
The pair were arrested after RCMP responded to reports of a suspicious vehicle in Brokenhead on Wednesday evening.
A 43-year-old man with a history of sexually abusing children was released from Stony Mountain Institution Friday, and is considered a high risk to re-offend, particularly to boys.
He is expected to live in Winnipeg, according to the Manitoba Integrated High Risk Sex Offender Unit.
James Jasper was serving a two-year sentence at Stony Mountain after being convicted of breaching his probation order in 2018.
In 2003, Jasper was convicted of sexual assault of a 10-year-old boy, sentended to 26 months in jail, followed by a 10-year long-term supervision order. After his release in 2006, Jasper was twice convicted of breaching that order.
After his release, Jasper faces three years of supervised probation, as well as a prohibition on contacting or being in the presence of anyone under 18, except for unavoidable encounters in public or in the presence of a probation officer-approved responsible adult.
The provincial government is earmarking $100 million for several coronavirus-related measures, including accelerating the pace at which Manitoba is procuring essential medical supplies and equipment.
Premier Brian Pallister said, as part of the Manitoba Protection Plan, the province has also instructed Manitoba Hydro and MPI not to charge interest or penalties in the event Manitobans cannot pay their bills.
It is also directing Hydro and Centra Gas not to disconnect customers. The protection is in place until Oct. 1.
As well, the government is adding more than 140 new shelter beds to support homeless persons.
Winnipeg city council has voted unanimously to declare a local state of emergency, which will provide it new powers to cope with the COVID-19 pandemic.
The vote was cast at City Hall on Friday. As a result, the declaration will allow the city to set prices for certain vital supplies to combat price gouging, use private buildings, such as hotels, to house vulnerable people and restrict access to areas of the city that may be contaminated, according to Mayor Brian Bowman.
The mayor’s office has described vulnerable people as including Winnipeggers who are homeless, as well as those with physical or mental disabilities and/or mental health concerns.
None of the emergency powers have been used to this point.
Winnipeg's pro soccer squad has tried to bolster its scoring with the addition of a pair of wingers.
Valour FC signed Stefan Cebara and Masta Kacher, the Canadian Premier League squad announced Friday morning.
Cebara, 28, who was born in Crotia but was raised in Alberta and Ontario, spent the 2018 season with Serbian club Vojvodina Novi Sad, scoring once in six games. Internationally, he played five games with the Canada's national Team in 2013.
Kacher, 24, played for Saint Louis FC of the United Soccer League, scoring two goals in 16 contests. He is originally from Algeria but moved with his family to the Montreal area when he was six.