November 24, 2017

Winnipeg
3° C, A few clouds

Full Forecast

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

True North Square worth 400 construction jobs

JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS</p><p>True North Square has been expanded to include a fourth tower. The construction industry is rolling up its sleeves as the $400-million project moves along.</p></p><p>

JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

True North Square has been expanded to include a fourth tower. The construction industry is rolling up its sleeves as the $400-million project moves along.

The largest private-sector development in Winnipeg’s history — the $400-million True North Square — will provide another shot in the arm for Manitoba’s construction industry.

Ron Hambley, president of the Winnipeg Construction Association, said the downtown project is expected to create nearly 400 new construction jobs per year in each of the next four years.

That’s just involves the on-site jobs, he said.

“Then there’s all of the related stuff associated with it. There’ll be lots of off-site manufacturing and supplies that will go into the project.” he noted.

Subscribers Log in below to continue reading,
not a subscriber? Create an account to start a 60 day free trial.

Log in Create your account

Add a payment method

To read the remaining 390 words of this article.

Pay only 27¢ for articles you wish to read.

Hope you enjoyed your trial.

Add a payment method

To read the remaining 390 words of this article.

Pay only 27¢ for articles you wish to read.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/2/2016 (637 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The largest private-sector development in Winnipeg’s history — the $400-million True North Square — will provide another shot in the arm for Manitoba’s construction industry.

Ron Hambley, president of the Winnipeg Construction Association, said the downtown project is expected to create nearly 400 new construction jobs per year in each of the next four years.

That’s just involves the on-site jobs, he said.

"Then there’s all of the related stuff associated with it. There’ll be lots of off-site manufacturing and supplies that will go into the project." he noted.

"It’s a fairly significant build."

True North Square, which was officially launched Wednesday but is already underway, will involve the construction of four highrise towers in the next four years on two surface lots on either side of Carlton Street between Graham and St. Mary avenues.

True North Sports & Entertainment, in partnership with James Richardson & Sons, will build two of the towers. One will be a 17-storey office/retail tower, and the other will be a 24-storey office/retail/residential tower. There will also be a two-level, 230-stall underground parkade and large outdoor plaza and parkway.

Vancouver’s Northland Properties will develop the other two towers. They are a 27-storey, 275-room luxury hotel and a 17-storey, 130-unit condominium tower.

Hambley said this is a good time for the True North project to get underway.

"We were coming off a little bit of a slower quarter at the end of last year, so this will be a nice bump," he said.

"Any time a large project wraps up, like the convention centre expansion, it’s nice to see another starting. Many of those workers will transition to the new site."

Last year was only the second time in the last decade that Manitoba saw a year-over-year decline in the number of building permits issued. The value of permits issued was down 19.2 per cent from 2014.

The only other occasion was in 2009 during the global economic recession.

Hambley said 2016 is shaping up to be a busy year for the industry. In addition to True North Square, a number of other major projects are underway or about to begin.

They include three big hospital projects in Winnipeg, a couple of major upgrades to sewage-treatment plants, several hydro megaprojects in northern Manitoba and the second phase of Winnipeg’s rapid-transit corridor in south Winnipeg.

"So there is still some big stuff in the hopper."

On Wednesday, city council approved the $155-million Waverley Street underpass.

Hambley said work on that may not get underway until next year.

"The total volume (of work) may not be as high (this year) as it was for the past decade or for 2014," he said, "but I think we’re off to a very respectable start."

He said even if the the volume of work is down from 2014, it’s still about three times what it was 12 years ago.

 murray.mcneill@freepress.mb.ca

Read more by Murray McNeill .

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.