Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 9/1/2015 (2002 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Reality is hitting hard this week -- in the form of pink slips -- at two of America's most iconic brands.
Coca-Cola on Thursday announced plans to lay off 1,600 to 1,800 of its corporate, U.S. and international employees in the coming months. The move came hours after McDonald's, on Wednesday, confirmed it was laying off 63 employees at its corporate office and that some other open, corporate positions had been eliminated.
While both moves had been widely anticipated, they only begin to reflect the sizable cutbacks and changes expected to hit both iconic brands in 2015.
The job cuts are part of Coke's $3-billion cost-cutting program that was announced in October -- about three times the $1 billion in cuts that had previously been announced. The job reductions at McDonald's are part of a wider corporate review to redirect nearly $100 million in savings towards business priorities, says McDonald's spokeswoman Heidi Barker Sa Shekhem.
For Coca-Cola and McDonald's, 2015 will be a year of cutbacks, change and evolution as an increasingly Internet-savvy and health conscious public continues to moves away from its decades-long habit of purchasing meals comprised of sugary drinks and fried and processed foods.
"These two brands cannot continue to decline," says Gary Stibel, CEO and founder of the New England Consulting Group. "They must have growth. Even when they're in neutral, they're actually slipping back."
Back in October, when both companies posted wretched third quarter results, CEOs for both brands announced plans for big cutbacks and changes. At the time, Coca-Cola posted a 14 per cent drop in third-quarter profit and McDonald's fell a worse-than-expected 30 per cent.
But these cutbacks may be just the beginning, says Stibel. "There is no end to the costs that can be taken," he says.
-- USA Today
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.