Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/11/2019 (219 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
MONTREAL - The union representing striking Canadian National Railway employees has released what it says is a recording between a supervisor and a conductor that demonstrates the dangerous working conditions at the company.
About 3,200 CN conductors, trainpersons and yard workers across the country walked off the job Nov. 19 over worries about long hours and fatigue.
The strike has stalled commodities and frustrated farmers who rely on rail-shipped propane to dry their grain and heat their barns and greenhouses.
In the recording from Oct. 19, 2018, a CN supervisor asks the conductor to move a train to a new location, where he and the engineer would be relieved by a new crew.
A statement Monday by the Teamsters Canada Rail Conference says the conductor had notified the company hours earlier that they needed to be relieved and were resting near Pickering, Ont., after working more than 10 hours.
The supervisor later says, "When you take your call, you need to be set for 12 hours. Personal rest is not a regulatory or safety issue."
The union says the extra driving requested would have taken several hours, and the conductor said in the recording, "We will move this train in an unfit condition if that is your order."
The conductor was suspended for 14 days without pay for not moving the train.
Union president Francois Laporte says the recording illustrates "CN's blatant disregard for the health and safety of our members and the public."
"This is why we are on strike against CN," Laporte says in the union statement. "This happens every day across the rail industry, and CN regularly intimidates workers who raise the issue of fatigue with the threat of discipline."
CN Railway was not immediately available for comment.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Nov. 26, 2019.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.