Mounties say they are not conducting mass seizure of firearms in Fort McMurray
Read this article for free:
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe with this special offer:
All-Access Digital Subscription
$1.50 for 150 days*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Pay $1.50 for the first 22 weeks of your subscription. After 22 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 per month. GST will be added to each payment. Subscription can be cancelled after the first 22 weeks.
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 10/05/2016 (2286 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
FORT MCMURRAY, Alta. – RCMP have seized some guns following the fire in Fort McMurray, but won’t be a conducting a mass seizure of firearms like they did after the flood in southern Alberta.
Sgt. John Spaans said Tuesday that officers have taken one or two guns found in public places, but are not going into homes looking for more.
He said he’s not sure if the decision had anything to do with what happened in High River during the floods.
“That’s a decision that came through our unified command. I don’t know the rationale.”
Flood water forced thousands of people from their homes in High River in June 2013. As Mounties searched for people who were stranded in the town, they kicked in doors and took firearms.
The seizures angered residents and fostered mistrust of the national police force.
The force’s Civilian Review and Complaints Commission later found the RCMP had legal authority to forcibly enter evacuated homes and seize unsecured firearms in plain view. But it said officers exceeded their authority by taking some guns that were properly secured.
About 300 RCMP from Alberta and other provinces are in Fort McMurray and recently finished a door-to-door canvass of the community, said Spaans.
They did not force their way into homes, he said, and only offered help to people who didn’t evacuate with the 80,000 other residents ordered out last week when a massive wildfire spread through the city. About 2,400 buildings were burned.
Firefighters have gone into some houses, Spaans added.
“In those cases, the RCMP have stayed outside.”
Mounties have assisted some residents who needed help evacuating, he said. Officers have also found people who are refusing to leave, but he wouldn’t reveal how many.
Police don’t have the authority to remove them unless there they pose a threat to public safety, he said.
Spaans said he expects the large presence of officers will remain “for months to come” in order to prevent property crime and help re-establish the community.