Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 5/5/2012 (2980 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
VANCOUVER -- The frustrated father of a young real estate agent murdered in 2008 while showing a $1 million Victoria-area home said he would offer half a million dollars for information leading to the conviction of the killer.
"If somebody walked in and said, 'I slept with the guy who killed her, give me $500,000 and relocate me,' I'll give it to you," said Jeff Buziak from his Calgary home.
His daughter, Lindsay Buziak, 24, was stabbed to death inside a new Saanich, B.C., home by someone he said lured her there under the pretence of viewing the home to buy it.
Buziak said he's frustrated and angry at the lack of an arrest in the case more than four years later.
"I'm getting quite tired waiting for them (police) to act," he said.
Saanich police said the investigation is ongoing and said it's complicated by its complexity and a "cone of silence."
"This (killing) was very organized," said Saanich police spokesman Sgt. Dean Jantzen. "There was a lot of planning and effort and forethought. These are the most complex crimes. And this is the most egregious crime and often they can become long-term and complicated.
"There are people in the community who are withholding information. We know there is a bit of cone of silence around this."
But he said the police do not endorse or authorize Buziak's offer of a reward and it hasn't been done in consultation with police.
Buziak said a group of volunteers knocked on doors in the Gordon Head neighbourhood Lindsay was killed in to hand-deliver 250 letters, offering a "substantial" reward and money to relocate for anyone with information about the murderer.
Lindsay was stabbed dozens of times in her head and chest on Feb. 2, 2008, at the home where she was to meet a mystery couple with strange accents who had called her earlier in the day.
The cellphone used by the killers to set up the appointment was bought weeks before and activated over the Internet less than 48 hours before the murder.
The phone was registered under the name Paulo Rodriguez, a name police believe to be fictitious.
Investigators found no fingerprints, DNA or other physical evidence in the house.
Buziak's boyfriend, who found her dead at the house, and an earlier boyfriend have both been cleared by police.
Dateline NBC in 2010 did a story on the case that was seen by millions and Saanich police Insp. Rob McColl and Det. Sgt. Chris Horsley told the program the investigation had ground to a halt and they were desperate for leads.
-- Postmedia News
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.