A man whose step-son survived a vicious stabbing and beating in Central Park this summer is endorsing Tim Diack for mayor.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 22/10/2018 (1068 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A man whose step-son survived a vicious stabbing and beating in Central Park this summer is endorsing Tim Diack for mayor.

Mike Enns joined Diack at a noon-hour news conference Monday in the downtown Winnipeg park, steps away from the site of the attack, where he blamed incumbent Brian Bowman for a spike in violent crime in the past four years and urged Winnipeggers to vote for Diack for mayor.

"Our current mayor, Brian Bowman, has done very little to address the fact that Winnipeg is in a crime tailspin," Enns said. "There is no way to sugarcoat it: under Brian Bowman, Winnipeg is rotting from the inside out."

Enns’ 19-year-old step-son and his girlfriend were beaten and robbed just before 2 a.m. on Aug. 18. The teen suffered 20 stab wounds and was taken to hospital in critical condition, but later upgraded.

Police arrested two men at a nearby hotel shortly after the attack, and charged them with numerous offences, including aggravated assault and robbery.

Enns said incidents of violent crime had been on the decrease in the years preceding 2014 but have increased almost 25 per cent over Bowman’s four years in office, which he blamed on the mayor's "lax attitude" towards crime.

Diack, a 31-year veteran of the Winnipeg Police Service, hasn’t really been a factor in the mayoral campaign and the polls place him with low single-digit support prior to Wednesday's election.

While he registered his campaign May 31, he didn’t do any campaigning throughout the summer. His activities in September were restricted to participation in a handful of mayoral forums. He held his first news conference on policy in early October.

Diack’s safety plan involves what he said is the removal of crystal meth from the city’s streets, starting with the establishment of a secure treatment facility which could house anywhere from 50 to 100 individuals.

But when pressed, Diack was unable to elaborate on the next steps in his safety plan.

Accompanying Diack and Enns at the news conference was Stephanie Meilleur, one of seven candidates running for council in Fort Rouge-East Fort Garry ward race.

aldo.santin@freepress.mb.ca