Winnipeg Free Press Comments Terms & Conditions
The Winnipeg Free Press allows readers to comment on most news articles, columns and blogs. This feature gives readers the chance to respond to our stories and engage in dialogue with others in the community about stories that matter to you.
- How do I comment?
- What are the rules for commenting?
- I find a comment offensive. What should I do?
- My comment was removed. Why?
- Why aren’t comments accepted on certain stories?
On any article, look for a link like this: Comments (0)
The number in the brackets is the number of comments so far. Click on that link to see the discussion. If the bracketed number is 0, then you can grab the top spot!
You must register and login before commenting. Links allowing you to do so are at the bottom of each article. After logging in, a Pluck Comment Form will appear at the bottom of every story that is accepting comments.
- Remember that the comments you post can be seen by everyone who visits the page, including people involved in the story. Play nice.
- Don’t use ALL CAPS. It’s considered shouting.
- Keep your language civil and your tone family-friendly. If you wouldn't say it in front of your mother, we probably won't allow it.
- We don't allow comments that contain graphic, abusive, hateful, racist, explicit or otherwise inappropriate subject matter. This includes "dog-whistle" racism and obscene words with letters substituted to avoid filters.
- We allow comments that criticize our journalism, but we do not allow comments that attack our journalists. You can say you disagree with or find an article lacking; you cannot insult the person who wrote it.
- Similarly, we allow comments that criticize story subjects' or other commenters' actions or opinions, but we do not allow comments that attack individuals personally. No name-calling or uncivil behaviour. Debate is welcome, schoolyard taunts are not.
- We do not allow "doxxing." Commenters who reveal the identities or personal information about others -- people in news stories, our staff, or other commenters -- will be immediately banned.
- We don't allow comments that suggest or encourage illegal activity. This includes comments that suggest, incite or endorse violence in any way, including vigilante or jailhouse violence.
- Don't advertise for goods, services, products etc. in our comment areas, and don't say things that defame anyone or any organization. If you post a comment that includes a URL, it will go to a pre-moderated queue.
- Out of respect for the families of the deceased, we typically don't allow comments that could be considered insensitive on stories about fatal accidents or homicides. Before posting a comment on such stories, please consider: what if the person involved was your friend or family member?
- Unless the story is actually about the subject, refrain from referencing Hitler. Seriously.
- Don't post the same comment numerous times; such comments are considered spam.
- No trolling -- that is, posting deliberately inflammatory or off-topic material. Please do not feed the trolls.
- No sock-puppetry -- that is, creating multiple identities for purposes of deception. Do not use more than one account to circumvent a block or ban, to repeatedly give thumbs up or thumbs down to a comment, to repeatedly report a comment as abusive, to vote or enter a contest multiple times, or to falsely give support or attack a position or person. Users employing sock puppets risk having all accounts banned.
- Comments may be edited, blocked or deleted at Winnipeg Free Press’ discretion -- that means any comment, at any time, for any reason.
- Remember that you participate at your own risk, taking personal responsibility for your comments, your username and any information you provide.
- If you submit comments that break these rules, we may block or ban you. We do not warn or inform commenters if they are blocked or banned. If you are banned, you will still be able to post comments, but other users will not be able to see them.
- See our detailed Terms and Conditions below for more information.
We encourage all readers to share their opinions and challenge the views of our writers and others by commenting on our stories. If you disagree with a comment, consider posting your own comment to share your perspective.
You can also share your opinion on comments by voting for or against them using the "thumbs up" and "thumbs down" icons on each comment.
If you find a comment that is racist, abusive, offensive, or otherwise doesn't meet the standards outlined on this page, click on "Report abuse" in the menu inside the comment to alert our moderators to it. Moderators will review your report and the comment, and determine if it should stay or be removed.
Our third-party moderation company handles all abuse reports and they are mandated to deal with reported comments within three hours, 24 hours a day, seven days a week.
If you reported a comment and it remains on the site after three hours, our moderators have determined it meets our guidelines.
Do not report comments you disagree with. Report only comments that do not meet the standards outlined on this page.
As per our Terms and Conditions, the Free Press reserves the right to edit or remove any comment at any time for any reason.
If your comment included a web link, it might move to a pre-moderation queue to ensure it is not spam.
If you think your comment was removed in error, please remember that at least two people interpreted it as offensive: the reader who reported it, and the moderator who removed it. Try rewording your comment so your true meaning is more clear and submitting it again.
The Winnipeg Free Press can turn off the ability to comment on stories and articles at our discretion.
Comments are often turned off on stories involving children, active court cases, when publication bans are in effect, and in situations where a large number of offensive comments has been received.
Out of respect for the families of the deceased, we may turn comments off on stories about fatal accidents, homicides and missing persons.
The following terms and conditions apply to commenting everywhere on our site. By participating you are agreeing to abide by them. A breach of these terms could result in immediate and permanent suspension from future participation.
- The Winnipeg Free Press is not responsible for the content of any comment. You acknowledge that comments represent the views and opinions of the person posting the comment and do not represent the views or opinions of the Winnipeg Free Press.
- Avoid inappropriate material. You agree that you will not post any libellous, defamatory, unlawful, inflammatory, obscene, abusive, pornographic or otherwise inappropriate material.
You will not post anything encouraging conduct that could constitute a criminal offense or give rise to a civil liability, or that provides instructional information about illegal activities. If you do, you indemnify Winnipeg Free Press and its affiliates for any resulting damages, including the costs of legal fees.
You agree that you will not use threatening or abusive language, or anything that discriminates on the basis on race, religion, age, nationality, gender, sexual preference, size, or other protected characteristics.
While expressing opinions, do not enter into personal attacks or publish any material that constitutes hate speech. Do not reveal personal information about any person. Baseless, unproven accusations will not be tolerated.
The Winnipeg Free Press reserves the right to monitor all comments and delete, move or edit any comment and/or block or ban any user at any time for any reason. We do not warn or inform users before removing their comments or banning their account.
- Use for non–commercial purposes. The information on this site may not be used for any commercial purposes without the written consent of the Winnipeg Free Press. You may not use the site to solicit funds or promote commercial activities, nor to post or transmit junk mail, chain letters, unsolicited mass mailing or spam, nor to promote any contest, sweepstakes, barter, advertising, and/or pyramid scheme.
- Use of website: You agree that you will not restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the website, interfere or attempt to interfere with the proper workings of the site or do anything that imposes an unreasonable or disproportionately large load on website infrastructure. You agree that you will not solicit passwords or personal identifying information from other users, nor will you post any submission that contains a virus or other harmful component.
- Do not violate others’ rights. You agree not to knowingly post content that violates or infringes on the rights of others, including copyright, trademark, trade secret, patent or other intellectual property right of any third party and including the privacy right of any individual.
- Protect your password. You are responsible to protect the confidentiality of your Winnipeg Free Press password and are fully responsible for all activities that occur under your password. You agree to immediately notify WFP of any unauthorized use of your password or any other breach of security. WFP cannot and will not be liable for any loss or damage arising from your failure to comply with this section.
- Winnipeg Free Press rights. By submitting a comment, you grant Winnipeg Free Press a royalty–free, irrevocable, perpetual, exclusive license (which it may sublicense) to use, publish, reproduce, modify, translate such content and distribute it in whole or in part with other works in any form, media or technology.
You further agree that any posted message or submission may be published, edited, modified, transmitted and displayed in a Winnipeg Free Press website or publication, and you waive all moral rights in having the material changed or altered.