Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 30/9/2008 (4292 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Earlier this month, architect Wins Bridgman placed two portapotties outside his Main Street office to provide a little dignity for disadvantaged people who might otherwise be tempted to defecate or urinate outside.
He quickly noticed an immediate improvement, as it appeared homeless people actually used the bright blue biffies based on the subsiding smell of urine on nearby streets and alleys.
But only days after the washrooms appeared, Bridgman was ordered to remove them, as city rules prohibit the placement of portapotties on his property.
On Monday, city council's downtown development committee tried to rectify the situation by asking the public service to find a way to place public washrooms in specific areas of downtown, possibly with the help of private citizens such as Bridgman.
"Washrooms are needed on North Main," said downtown development chairman Russ Wyatt, who proposed a motion supported by Couns. Gord Steeves, Justin Swandel and Jenny Gerbasi.
Wyatt said technology has changed sin ce the city built its first public washrooms and later removed them when they became public-safety hazards. His committee asked city staff to find a way to place toilets on streets without breaking esthetic regulations or unwittingly aiding the drug trade.
While they're thinking about Main Street, city staff may also want to consider summer-only public facilities in more upscale neighbourhoods such as Osborne Village and the Corydon strip.
Two summers ago, Edmonton placed portable washrooms along pedestrian-friendly Whyte Avenue to cut down on public urination after closing time at local bars. The biffies were put back in place this summer, despite complaints the facilities somehow encouraged public intoxication.
Riverside Park motions die
TRANSCONA Coun. Russ Wyatt and Fort Rouge's Jenny Gerbasi are refusing to the let the Riverside Park Management scandal fade away.
The first business day after Premier Gary Doer summarily rejected their call to launch an inquiry into the non-profit organization once run by Mayor Sam Katz, Wyatt and Gerbasi tried to two sneak two new Riverside-related motions through downtown development committee.
On Monday, Wyatt tried to direct city staff to investigate all potential past and future revenues from city lands leased to Riverside Park, which sublets the properties to the Katz-owned Winnipeg Goldeyes. He also tried to direct the city to review the status of those leases.
Gerbasi voted with Wyatt on both motions, but St. Vital Coun. Gord Steeves and St. Norbert's Justin Swandel objected, causing the efforts to get hung up in a pair of 2-2 votes.
Both Wyatt and Gerbasi are pledging to keep the Riverside Park controversy alive at least until Oct. 22, when city council debates their motion to toughen up conflict-of-interest rules and possibly bring in an ethics commissioner.
South Point Douglas moves on
NOW that David Asper has refocused his football-stadium efforts on the University of Manitoba, the city has taken the brakes off plans to revitalize South Point Douglas.
Before the inner-city neighbourhood was identified as a possible home for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, city planners were in the process of trying to change the designation of the inner-city neighbourhood from an industrial area to a mixed-use neighbourhood.
The switch would allow more residential development in the leafy but rundown riverbank neighbourhood that stands be a logical extension of the Exchange District.
On Thursday, council's planning, property and development is slated to fast-track South Point Douglas for a neighbourhood redesign.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.