Copy Editor - Full time
If you are searching for an exciting career, and wish to showcase your skills and work on projects that reach over a million people each month, we invite you to apply for this position.
Job title: Copy Editor - Full time
Wage Rate: As per collective agreement
Posting date: Nov. 18, 2019
Closing date: 4 p.m. on Nov. 25, 2019
Description of duties:
- Create, manage and update content on winnipegfreepress.com and other digital properties (mobile, apps) with text, photos, videos, etc.
- Engage readers through comments, email, social media and other interactive elements.
- Monitor news, wire services and social media for breaking news and top stories.
- Edit stories and write bright, concise and accurate headlines, cutlines, etc.
- Produce compelling story/photograph packages that are forward-looking, analytical and reader friendly.
- Maintain high standards of editing, grammar and spelling; apply Free Press style to copy handled.
- Check questionable story elements with the author or wire service and correct errors.
- Proof-read, correct and update stories and pages as required.
- Be a team player and assist colleagues as required.
- Other general duties, including pagination, as required.
- Post-secondary journalism accreditation or equivalent daily newspaper experience.
- Must have high level of computer literacy and Internet knowledge.
- Proficient with Twitter, Facebook, Reddit, Tumblr and other social media platforms.
- Familiar with website content management systems, including HTML/embedded code.
- Excellent editing and writing skills.
- Experience in daily newspaper editorial operations.
- Working knowledge of InDesign and NewsEdit.
- Good critical thinking and problem-solving skills; able to work independently.
- Good interpersonal and communication skills; able to take and follow directions.
- Able to work night shift under deadline pressure.
- Must project a professional public image on behalf of the newspaper.
- Must understand the importance of customer service.
The Winnipeg Free Press offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in the workforce. We encourage applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds, abilities and perspectives.
If you are searching for a challenging, exciting career opportunity, and want to join an award-winning news operation look no further! We invite you to submit your resume to the attention of:
Human Resources Winnipeg Free Press
1355 Mountain Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R2X 3B6
We thank all applicants for applying, however only those under consideration will be contacted.