Multimedia Producer (Data Journalist)
If you are searching for an exciting career, and wish to showcase your skills and work on projects that reach over a million people each month, we invite you to apply for this position.
Job title: Multimedia Producer (Data Journalist) - Full-time
Wage Rate: As per collective agreement
Posting date: Oct. 7, 2021
Closing date: 4 p.m. on Oct. 15, 2021
If you believe journalism matters and want to prove that every day in a newsroom that’s growing, the Winnipeg Free Press wants to hear from you.
We are looking for a full-time data journalist in our newsroom.
Description of Duties
- Wrangle data from external sources, analyze it, and prepare it for publication in engaging and user-friendly text, images, static or interactive graphics, maps and videos.
- Pitch, plan and produce short and long-form data-driven stories.
- Collaborate with reporters and editors to fact-check, provide analysis and identify topics and opportunities for graphics and visualizations to support reporting.
- Curate news content on winnipegfreepress.com as well as our apps,, social media, notifications and other platforms.
- Create, publish and update engaging and user-friendly digital content including articles, galleries and videos on our websites, apps, social media and other platforms.
- Monitor social media and engage with community on social media platforms for content creation, promotion and audience engagement.
- Track, interpret and respond to analytics.
- Take direction and assist colleagues; other general duties as required.
- Post-secondary journalism accreditation or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated proficiency using data to produce graphics, maps, charts, timelines and other visualizations.
- Skills in data analysis, programming, design, infographics, data visualization and/or interactives.
- Proficiency with data-analysis tools, such as Microsoft Excel or Tableau, familiarity with programming languages such as R or Python an asset.
- Proven ability communicating complex ideas to non-technical audiences.
- Strong news judgment, ability to manage fast-moving information and deal with deadline pressure.
- Skilled at multi-tasking, critical thinking and problem solving. Detail-oriented and organized.
- Strong ability to self-motivate and work independently.
- Able to work a variety of shifts -- including evenings, nights and weekends.
- Passionate about journalism, storytelling, data and design.
The Winnipeg Free Press offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in the workforce. We encourage applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds, abilities and perspectives.
If you are searching for a challenging, exciting career opportunity, and want to join an award-winning news operation, look no further!
We invite you to submit your resume to the attention of: Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for applying, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.