Reporter - General Assignment
If you are searching for an exciting career, and wish to showcase your skills and work on projects that reach over a million people each month, we invite you to apply for this position.
Job title: General Assignment Reporter - Full Time
Wage Rate: As per collective agreement
Posting date: May 26, 2020
Closing date: 4 p.m. on June 3, 2020
If you believe journalism matters and want to prove that every day in a newsroom that’s growing, the Winnipeg Free Press wants to hear from you.
We are looking for a general assignment reporter.
Description of Duties
- Pursue vigorously all daily and longer-term reporting assignments received from Supervising Editor(s).
- Initiate and develop ideas for story assignments in conjunction with Supervising Editor(s).
- Gather all pertinent information necessary to complete reporting assignments through research and interviews.
- Write clear, concise, reader-friendly stories as per reporting assignments.
- Ensure all stories meet high standards of accuracy, fairness and comprehensiveness as set by Supervising Editor(s).
- Meet assignment deadlines as set by Supervising Editor(s).
- Write text stories for print and digital publication;
- Collaborate with editors to create data visualizations, timelines, databases, maps and other interactive digital elements;
- Engage community in person and through comments, email, blogs, Twitter, Facebook and other social media.
- Deliver live and recorded on-camera video segments when required, with demonstrated professional ad-lib abilities.
- Take direction and assist colleagues as required.
- Maintain close contact with the community in person and via social media.
- Other general duties as required.
- Journalism degree/diploma or equivalent.
- At least two years’ relevant experience in print, online and/or broadcast journalism.
- Experience in breaking news and feature production of print/online or video journalism an asset;
- Demonstrated ability to multitask and work effectively under deadline pressure;
- Excellent research, critical-thinking and problem-solving skills, passionate about journalism and storytelling.
- Demonstrated proficiency with Twitter, Facebook, Reddit and other social-media platforms and their use to enhance coverage and connection with readers.
- Basic knowledge of computer software: HTML, Word processing, FTP, etc.
- Experience and proven ability in writing to conform to Canadian Press style and standard Canadian English, grammar, spelling and capitalization.
- Requires a valid driver’s licence and passport.
- Able to work a variety of shifts -- including evenings, nights and weekends -- under deadline pressure.
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; strong team player.
The Winnipeg Free Press offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in the workforce. We encourage applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds, abilities and perspectives.
If you are searching for a challenging, exciting career opportunity, and want to join an award-winning news operation, look no further! We invite you to submit your resume to the attention of:
We thank all applicants for applying, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.