The Winnipeg Free Press is looking for an experienced and creative journalist to lead our sports coverage team.
The successful candidate will have experience managing and mentoring staff. They will also understand strong sports journalism is critical to helping the Free Press grow its audience. T
he Sports Editor supervises our team of reporters, columnists and freelancers as we cover everything from grassroots athletes up to the city’s professional teams and major sporting events such as the Olympics.
This senior management position reports directly to the Editor and will involve other leadership roles as we engage our readership and serve the community.
Job title: Sports Editor
Posting date: Jan. 20, 2022
Closing date: 4 p.m. on Feb. 3, 2022
Description of Duties
- Implement the Editor's goals and objectives relating to sports coverage.
- Accountable for all sports coverage.
- Accountable for adherence to page-release deadlines for all sports pages.
- Accountable for implementation of all Sports Desk budgets, attendance reporting and related administrative tasks.
- Supervise all Sports Desk reporters, columnists and editors.
- Establish beat and editing/assignment accountability for Sports Desk reporters, columnists and assistant editors.
- Assign or approve story assignments and deadlines for all sports reporters and freelance sports writers.
- Develop ideas for sports coverage, photography and graphics in conjunction with Editor and reporters.
- Provide sports content and make recommendations on selection and play to the Editor, or designate, as required.
- Prepare and implement a plan of professional staff development designed to achieve the goals and objectives of both the newspaper and Sports Desk staff.
- Co-ordinate inter-departmental projects on behalf of Sports Desk.
- Maintain contact with the community through meetings with representatives of various agencies and organizations, as well as individuals.
- Other general duties as required.
- Post-secondary Journalism accreditation, or equivalent daily newspaper experience.
- Strong background in sports journalism.
- Proven skills in using digital tools to gather news and tell stories in a variety of formats for different platforms.
- A team player who has proven leadership skills.
- Considerable experience in daily newspaper editorial operations.
- Superior knowledge of the sports field and public affairs.
- Superior editing and writing skills.
- Good management, interpersonal, motivational and communication skills.
- Able to work long hours under deadline pressure.
- Must project a professional public image on behalf of the newspaper.
- Must understand the importance of customer service.
The Winnipeg Free Press offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
We are committed to diversity and inclusion in the workforce. We encourage applications from individuals of diverse backgrounds, abilities and perspectives.
If you are searching for a challenging, exciting career opportunity, and want to join an award-winning news operation, look no further!
We invite you to submit your resume to the attention of: Human Resources at firstname.lastname@example.org
We thank all applicants for applying, however only candidates under consideration will be contacted.