Police probe trash bin fire

Advertisement

Advertise with us

A large trash container was "basically engulfed in flames" around midnight Saturday, just metres from apartments torched last Tuesday in St. James, a witness said.

Read this article for free:

or

Already have an account? Log in here »

To continue reading, please subscribe with this special offer:

All-Access Digital Subscription

$1.50 for 150 days*

  • Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
  • Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
  • Access News Break, our award-winning app
  • Play interactive puzzles
Continue

*Pay $1.50 for the first 22 weeks of your subscription. After 22 weeks, price increases to the regular rate of $19.00 per month. GST will be added to each payment. Subscription can be cancelled after the first 22 weeks.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 15/08/2011 (4015 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A large trash container was “basically engulfed in flames” around midnight Saturday, just metres from apartments torched last Tuesday in St. James, a witness said.

John Phillips was driving down the street shortly after midnight Saturday when he saw the trash container ablaze near apartments in a complex in the 200 block of Fairlane Avenue, he told the Free Press.

Six units of the townhouse complex on Fairlane Avenue in St. James were badly damaged in a fire Tuesday morning, which police consider a possible arson.

There was more than $600,000 damage to the complex.

On the weekend, firefighters responded to the blaze, another suspected arson.

“Two male youths were possibly attempting to set a fire,” Winnipeg police Const. Jason Michalyshen said Sunday.

While police did not attend the scene, they are investigating the incident, Michalyshen said.

“It will be documented and followed up on in light of everything that’s been going on this summer,” Michalyshen said, referring to the string of arsons in Winnipeg over the past months.

Meanwhile, a woman whose apartment was destroyed in the Fairlane Meadows fire last week said she is grateful for the offers of help she’s received.

Lynda Kidd, who used to live in one of the apartments with her son and her mother, said she was overwhelmed by the number of Free Press readers who responded to her plight — including a woman who offered her a place nearby to rent in mid-September.

“I broke down and cried,” said Kidd. They’re staying with family for now.

News of the fire overnight Saturday in the trash container near their old suite set didn’t surprise her.

The apartment complex had bins set ablaze earlier this year, she said.

“We had recycling bins and someone set those on fire.”

Kidd said if it’s arson, she has a message for the firebug.

“They’ve been playing with people’s lives and that’s not funny. Shame on them.”

Report Error Submit a Tip

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Local

LOAD MORE LOCAL