News briefs for Wednesday, January 25, 2023
Read this article for free:
Already have an account? Log in here »
To continue reading, please subscribe with this special offer:
All-Access Digital Subscription
$4.75 per week*
- Enjoy unlimited reading on winnipegfreepress.com
- Read the E-Edition, our digital replica newspaper
- Access News Break, our award-winning app
- Play interactive puzzles
*Pay $19.00 every four weeks. GST will be added to each payment. Subscription can be cancelled anytime.
A collection of breaking news briefs filed on Wednesday, January 25, 2023
Bombers re-sign linebacker Gauthier
The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed Canadian linebacker Shayne Gauthier to a one-year contract extension. He was scheduled to become a free agent next month.
Gauthier returns for a seventh season with the club after being selected in the fourth round of the 2016 CFL draft out of Laval. Gauthier registered a career-high 28 defensive tackles last season and recorded the first two quarterback sacks in his six years of professional football.
Gauthier has 54 special teams tackles in 81 career games.
Winnipeg man arrested after alleged online child luring
A Winnipeg man has been arrested for alleged online child luring.
The Winnipeg police counter-exploitation unit was investigating people attempting to lure kids for sexual purposes via online classified sites and messaging apps, police said.
On Jan. 16, police arrested Lawrence Draho, 67. He’s been charged with luring a person under 16 by telecommunication, distributing or sell sexually explicit material to a person under 16 and two child pornography offences.
He was released on court conditions limiting his access to the internet and minors.
Garden Hill man airlifted to Winnipeg after assault
A 56-year-old Garden Hill First Nation man had to be flown to Winnipeg after a serious assault in the northern community on Sunday.
Island Lake RCMP were called to a home on the First Nation at about 5:20 p.m., where they were told the man had been taken to the local nursing station with serious injuries, before being transported to the city.
Mounties identified two people allegedly involved in the assault.
A 39-year-old woman will be charged with assault, but has been released pending an upcoming court date. A 36-year-old man was charged with aggravated assault and two counts of fail to comply. He was remanded into custody.
Transit assault turns into fight between suspect and passenger: police
A woman accused of assaulting the driver of a Winnipeg Transit bus and passengers on Tuesday was arrested alongside another woman who stepped in to fight her.
Police were called to Dakota Street and Paddington Road at about 6:30 p.m. for a report of an intoxicated woman hitting passengers and the driver. They found the bus stopped at John Forsyth Road and Ashford Drive where two women were fighting inside while the driver and the rest of the passengers stood outside. Officers used a Taser on the passenger who allegedly refused verbal commands to stop fighting before arresting the two, according to police.
Police learned one of the two got on the bus around St. Mary’s Road and Vivian Street and became verbally abusive with several riders before hitting a teen and the driver. Most passengers and the driver fled, but one stayed back and got into an argument with the first suspect, which got violent, police said.
A 21-year-old woman will be charged with two counts of assault and one count of mischief under $5,000. A 24-year-old woman will be charged with assault. Both were released on undertakings.
Manitoba to send nurse recruitment delegation to Philippines
Immigration Minister Jon Reyes will join a mission to the Philippines to recruit nurses and other healthcare workers to Manitoba.
The delegation will travel to Manila, Cebu and Iloilo between Feb. 21 and 25 to meet with pre-screened applicants, with a specific focus on internationally educated nurses who have worked at least two years in a hospital or long-term care.
The recruitment drive is expected to set the course for hundreds of qualified internationally educated nurses to move to Manitoba, according to the provincial government.
Reyes is also expected to advance relationships with the Philippines government and expand on existing labour agreements while in the country.
Mounties release name, picture of youth wanted in The Pas double slaying
RCMP are searching for a 17-year-old male accused in a double slaying in The Pas.
Major crime investigators have obtained an arrest warrant for Ernest Lloyd Campbell, 17 of The Pas and Moose Lake, in relation to the two killings in the northern town on Jan. 15.
He’s to be charged with two counts of second-degree murder. Mounties warn they consider him armed and dangerous and ask anyone who knows where he is to call 911 or their local emergency number.
RCMP have made the rare step of obtaining a judge’s authorization to release his name temporarily.
The names of minors who have been accused of crimes are normally subject to a publication ban, unless police prove there’s reason to believe the person is a danger to others and that they need to publish the name to locate them.