August 23, 2017


14° C, Sunny

Full Forecast


Advertise With Us

Not told father should have been in secure facility, daughter tells inquest

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 21/1/2014 (1310 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The daughter of the Alzheimer’s sufferer who attacked staff at Parkview Place for months before pushing a fellow resident who died from head trauma said she was never informed that her dad should be in a more secure facility.

"Nobody ever expressed concern that we should move him or they should move him," Joe McLeod’s daughter Faye Jashyn told the inquest into the death of Frank Alexander, 87. He died in March 2011, days after McLeod shoved him to the floor of the recreation area of Parkview Place. Jashyn said she had heard from time to time from care home staff that incidents occurred with her dad but they were never detailed. No one indicated she ought to move him. Parkview Place knew he had been violent in the past because it was the care home to which he was moved to after spending a month in the remand centre for assaulting his wife, Rose.

Faye Jashyn (seated) and Leslie McLeod


Faye Jashyn (seated) and Leslie McLeod

McLeod made headlines after he was put in the lockup for pushing Rose on Sept. 7, 2010. She suffered deep cuts and police were called. At the time, McLeod didn’t recognize Rose as his wife. She showed him a framed picture of the two of them together but he lashed out, pushing her out of their basement apartment and up the stairs. She fell on the picture, its glass broke and cut her deeply. A neighbour called police and Jashyn to let her know what happened. McLeod was arrested and Jashyn said she was given the choice of leaving him in the remand centre or taking him home with her.

"I was scared to," she told the inquest that began Monday. "I don’t have training to do this. I was frightened I couldn’t take care of him."

She said she contacted her NDP MLA and then-NDP MP Bill Blaikie who told her to wait -- things would work out. She was an active party member and volunteer but those connections didn’t help her dad get out of the remand centre and into a home. She was contacted by then-Liberal leader Jon Gerrard who’d met her parents earlier and heard what happened to them. Gerrard organized a press conference. After getting media attention about what happened to her father, the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority arranged to have McLeod moved to Parkview Place. Months later, he pushed Frank Alexander who died after hitting his head on the floor.

Jashyn’s testimony continues today.

Read more by Carol Sanders.


Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more