Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 25/3/2014 (2261 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A man suspected of killing his friend in a drunk-driving crash with a moving train nearly two years ago has been flown back to Manitoba after being picked up by RCMP in British Columbia.
Christopher Shane Watt, 37, was flown back to Manitoba last week and is now in custody in Winnipeg pending trial on charges including criminal negligence causing the death of Marko Kordic early on July 8, 2012.
Kordic, 36, died after being thrown from a Ford F-350 truck when it collided with a moving CN Rail freight train on Edgewood Road just south of Highway 15. A woman, 47, was also injured but is believed to have been wearing a seatbelt at the time of the crash.
A resident living beside the train tracks previously told the Free Press he saw vehicle lights driving quickly towards the tracks as a train approached. "I saw headlights and then I saw the train lights. And then I saw the headlights not stopping and I heard the whistle blowing and the lights weren't stopping," said Barry Sigurdson.
Sigurdson said the impact between the train and the truck must have been intense. "I saw headlights flipping above the train," he said. "It was chaos."
A legal source told the Free Press Tuesday RCMP believe the three in the truck had been at a house party just prior to the crash and that Watt was in the driver's seat.
Cameras on the train play a big part of the criminal investigation, the source said. He was unauthorized to speak publicly about the case. Watt himself was thrown from the truck and spent time in hospital afterwards.
RCMP have only said they suspected alcohol was a factor in the collision.
Oakbank RCMP obtained a Manitoba-only arrest warrant for Watt in March 2013 after previously initiating charges of impaired driving causing death and driving over the legal limit of .08 causing a fatal accident on Dec. 18, 2012.
But it remained unexecuted until police were notified by colleagues in Langley, B.C. Watt had been picked up in a traffic stop, ultimately leading to his arrest March 14 after Manitoba Mounties applied to have the radius of the warrant extended.
He was processed and flown to Manitoba under B.C.'s so-called "con air" program, which justice officials and police set up in an effort to reduce the number of wanted suspects coming to that province to avoid apprehension elsewhere.
Managed by the RCMP, the initiative has seen 59 people returned to the Canadian jurisdiction in which they're wanted, RCMP said in announcing Watt's arrest.
Watt also faces an unrelated charge of fraud over $5,000 for allegedly bilking Manitoba Employment and Income Assistance between the start of 2011 and June 1, 2012.
He remains in custody. Court records indicate the Crown is opposed to his release on bail.
Kordic was a well-liked man who worked in the information technology field and loved camping and travelling, according to his obituary.
"Marko was the kindest person, a gentle soul and had a good sense of humour. He will be greatly missed," his family wrote.
His death notice in the Free Press prompted dozens of friends, relatives and others to publicly mourn his loss.
"Marko was one of the kindest people I have ever met," work colleague Cheryl Chuckry wrote. "Even in the face of anger, conflict or frustration, he would always remain calm and patient — a real challenge when working in IT," she said.
"He had such a gentle nature and a friendly smile that I'll never forget. I will miss him greatly," wrote Chuckry.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.