July 3, 2020

Winnipeg
25° C, Partly cloudy

Full Forecast

WEATHER ALERT

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Could Katz face Ford's fate?

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 26/11/2012 (2776 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

A Toronto judge's decision to remove that city's mayor from office over conflict of interest has added drama to a Winnipeg court case slated for April 2.

An Ontario judge found Toronto Mayor Rob Ford violated Ontario's municipal conflict-of-interest legislation by voting to let himself off the hook for repaying an improper donation, Toronto media reported this morning. The violation comes with an automatic penalty: the mayor loses his seat.

Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz

JOE BRYKSA / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Winnipeg Mayor Sam Katz

The lawsuit that led to the decision was brought about by prominent lawyer Clayton Ruby. Prior to this morning's decision, observers in Ontario were skeptical a judge would remove a democratically elected official.

In Winnipeg, Mayor Sam Katz is slated to appear in court April 2 over a conflict-of-interest lawsuit shepherded by lawyer David Matas.

The suit against Winnipeg's mayor was launched by restaurateur Joe Chan, who alleges Katz breached the trust of citizens by unfairly awarding a contract to a restaurant he used to own.

In 2010, Katz spent $2,915 of public funds on a party for city councillors, department heads and their families at his Hu's Asian Bistro restaurant on Ellice Avenue, according to previously released expense records.

The penalty for violating Manitoba's conflict-of-interest law is also the loss of one's seat.

Katz's office confirmed he will speak to the media this afternoon.

'Apples to horseshoes'

Katz's lawyer Robert Tapper said the two conflict-of-interest cases is like comparing "apples to horseshoes." He said the municipal conflict-of-interest act is meant to govern business on the floor of council and city committee meetings - not a Christmas party.

Earlier this year, Tapper said Chan's case was thrown out of court and he was ordered to pay $750 in costs.

"I would be more than hopeful the judge will see this as the nonsense that it is," he said.

Chan's lawyer David Matas said the allegations in the two cases are different, but the legislation and the concept is the same - a judge could rule Katz is in a conflict-of-interest and declare his seat vacant.

"Litigation is never certain, but structurally it's the same situation," he said.

Decision will change municipal landscape: councillor

Ford's removal came as a shock to city councillors, several of whom heard the news during council's public works committee meeting this morning.

Coun. Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge) said Toronto is the biggest city in Canada and the change in leadership will affect the rest of the country. She said it will be up to a judge to decide the outcome of Katz's conflict-of-interest case next spring.

"It's going to change the landscape for Canadian municipalities possibly," Gerbasi said.

Coun. Dan Vandal (St. Boniface) said the decision shows nobody is above the law.

"I think it just demonstrates there are limits to what we can and what we can't do no matter who you are," Vandal said.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

-P96xavpg.js">

Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.

History

Updated on Monday, November 26, 2012 at 1:07 PM CST: Adds councillor comments.

2:55 PM: Adds comments from lawyers.

The Free Press will close this commenting platform at noon on July 14.

We want to thank those who have shared their views over the years as part of this reader engagement initiative.

In the coming weeks, the Free Press will announce new opportunities for readers to share their thoughts and to engage with our staff and each other.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us