For the second year in a row, the organizers of Dauphin’s Countryfest announced that they are cancelling this multi-day concert due to the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
President Ann Ransom revealed in a Wednesday news release that the board made this decision based on their ongoing consultations with the Manitoba government.
"The uncertainty of the right COVID-19 protocols to have in place to ensure the safety of festival goers just leaves us with no choice but to hold off on welcoming everyone back to the hill this summer," she said.
This news bears a striking similarity to the announcement Dauphin’s Countryfest made back in April 2020, where they decided to pull the plug on that year’s festivities just as the global health crisis was ramping up.
While general manager Rob Waloschuk knows that this repeat announcement will disappoint many Canadian music fans, he noted that the Dauphin’s Countryfest team is working in the background to produce some live events in the coming months.
"While there may not be a festival as we know it this year, we are currently planning on presenting some smaller scale ‘COVID Safe’ events throughout the summer, all based on public health guidelines," he said.
Ransom also mentioned that her team is still looking to put together a more traditional Dauphin’s Countryfest event for July 1-3, 2022, with artist Johnny Reid already being confirmed for next year’s line-up.
"Dauphin’s Countryfest has a significant economic impact to the business and volunteer community," she said. "We have a responsibility to Dauphin, and the surrounding communities, to bring the festival back in 2022."
Details on all ticket processes and more exclusive incentives will be going out via email to all ticket holders in the next week to 10 days, according to Wednesday’s news release.
Before last year, Dauphin’s Countryfest organizers had been holding a music festival annually on the July-long weekend since 1990.
» The Brandon Sun