July 21, 2019

Winnipeg
14° C, A few clouds

Full Forecast

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

First Nations close to deal on Kapyong Barracks

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/11/2012 (2426 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Manitoba’s First Nations are closer than ever to a deal to create an urban reserve out of the former Kapyong Barracks, Sagkeeng Chief Donavan Fontaine said Tuesday.

“By the end of this week, we should have an offer,” Fontaine said. “We’re closer than we’ve ever been before and at the last minute, there could be a deal breaker, you never know but I’m cautiously optimistic.”

Seven First Nations represented by Treaty One took Ottawa to court over the 160 acres of prime city real estate when the barracks were decommissioned and the federal government announced the land would be put up for sale.

That was in 2005. Since then, the case has been stuck in the courts and many drivers have been stuck in traffic because Kenaston Boulevard, which runs beside the Kapyong Barracks, could not be expanded to meet growing traffic needs while there were legal claims.

Get the full story.
No credit card required. Cancel anytime.

Join free for 30 days

After that, pay as little as $0.99 per month for the best local news coverage in Manitoba.

 

Already a subscriber?

Log in

Keep reading free:

Already have an account? Log in here »

Subscribers Log in below to continue reading,
not a subscriber? Create an account to start a 30 day free trial.

Log in Create your account

Your free trial has come to an end.

We hope you have enjoyed your trial! To continue reading, we recommend our Read Now Pay Later membership. Simply add a form of payment and pay only 27¢ per article.

For unlimited access to the best local, national, and international news and much more, try an All Access Digital subscription:

Thank you for supporting the journalism that our community needs!

Your free trial has come to an end.

We hope you have enjoyed your trial! To continue reading, we recommend our Read Now Pay Later membership. Simply add a form of payment and pay only 27¢ per article.

For unlimited access to the best local, national, and international news and much more, try an All Access Digital subscription:

Thank you for supporting the journalism that our community needs!

We hope you have enjoyed your free trial!

To continue reading, select a plan below:

All Access Digital

Introductory pricing*

99¢

per month

  • Unlimited online reading and commenting
  • Daily newspaper replica e-Edition
  • News Break - our award-winning iOS app
  • Exclusive perks & discounts
Continue

Read Now Pay Later

Pay

27¢

per article

  • Commitment-free
  • Cancel anytime
  • Only pay for what you read
  • Refunds available
Continue

*Introductory pricing schedule for 12 month: $0.99/month plus tax for first 3 months, $5.99/month for months 4 - 6, $10.99/month for months 7 - 9, $13.99/month for months 10 - 12. Standard All Access Digital rate of $16.99/month begins after first year.

We hope you have enjoyed your free trial!

To continue reading, select a plan below:

Read Now Pay Later

Pay

27¢

per article

  • Commitment-free
  • Cancel anytime
  • Only pay for what you read
  • Refunds available
Continue

All Access Digital

Introductory pricing*

99¢

per month

  • Unlimited online reading and commenting
  • Daily newspaper replica e-Edition
  • News Break - our award-winning iOS app
  • Exclusive perks & discounts
Continue

Mon to Sat Delivery

Pay

$34.36

per month

  • Includes all benefits of All Access Digital
  • 6-day delivery of our award-winning newspaper
Continue

*Introductory pricing schedule for 12 month: $0.99/month plus tax for first 3 months, $5.99/month for months 4 - 6, $10.99/month for months 7 - 9, $13.99/month for months 10 - 12. Standard All Access Digital rate of $16.99/month begins after first year.

We hope you have enjoyed your free trial!

To continue reading, select a plan below:

All Access Digital

Introductory pricing*

99¢

per month

  • Unlimited online reading and commenting
  • Daily newspaper replica e-Edition
  • News Break - our award-winning iOS app
  • Exclusive perks & discounts
Continue

Read Now Pay Later

Pay

27¢

per article

  • Commitment-free
  • Cancel anytime
  • Only pay for what you read
  • Refunds available
Continue

*Introductory pricing schedule for 12 month: $0.99/month plus tax for first 3 months, $5.99/month for months 4 - 6, $10.99/month for months 7 - 9, $13.99/month for months 10 - 12. Standard All Access Digital rate of $16.99/month begins after first year.

We hope you have enjoyed your free trial!

To continue reading, select a plan below:

Read Now Pay Later

Pay

27¢

per article

  • Commitment-free
  • Cancel anytime
  • Only pay for what you read
  • Refunds available
Continue

All Access Digital

Introductory pricing*

99¢

per month

  • Unlimited online reading and commenting
  • Daily newspaper replica e-Edition
  • News Break - our award-winning iOS app
  • Exclusive perks & discounts
Continue

*Introductory pricing schedule for 12 month: $0.99/month plus tax for first 3 months, $5.99/month for months 4 - 6, $10.99/month for months 7 - 9, $13.99/month for months 10 - 12. Standard All Access Digital rate of $16.99/month begins after first year.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 27/11/2012 (2426 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Kapyong Barracks

BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Kapyong Barracks

Manitoba’s First Nations are closer than ever to a deal to create an urban reserve out of the former Kapyong Barracks, Sagkeeng Chief Donavan Fontaine said Tuesday.

"By the end of this week, we should have an offer," Fontaine said. "We’re closer than we’ve ever been before and at the last minute, there could be a deal breaker, you never know but I’m cautiously optimistic."

Seven First Nations represented by Treaty One took Ottawa to court over the 160 acres of prime city real estate when the barracks were decommissioned and the federal government announced the land would be put up for sale.

That was in 2005. Since then, the case has been stuck in the courts and many drivers have been stuck in traffic because Kenaston Boulevard, which runs beside the Kapyong Barracks, could not be expanded to meet growing traffic needs while there were legal claims.

The issue of a traffic bottleneck near Kapyong is expected to become an even bigger headache because Kenaston is a major traffic artery leading to the IKEA big-box store, which opens Wednesday at the intersection with Sterling Lyon Parkway.

The First Nations claim to Kapyong comes from treaty rights to federal land in their traditional territories that had been declared surplus in return for unfulfilled land claims.

"Neither side wants to go back to court," said Fontaine, adding  there is pressure to come to an out-of-court settlement soon. The next court date is Dec. 7.

He said First Nations lawyers at the table with the federal government have signalled the chiefs to expect good news soon.

"By the end of this week, we should be hearing something," Fontaine said.

He said a deal would mean the First Nations would have a partnership with Ottawa on development of the site.

Plans for the site could call for a mixed commercial and residential development with the possibility of green space.

"Economic development, definitely," said Fontaine describing the site as a potential hub of activity. "And housing and green space is a possibility."

In January, city council’s public works committee voted in favour of a preliminary design that would see Kenaston eventually expand to six lanes from four between Ness and Taylor avenues.

The plan is to widen the roadway on the west side by acquiring land from Kapyong Barracks and on the east by acquiring about 50 homes.

Public works director Brad Sacher said current standards suggest a road be widened to six lanes when traffic counts exceed more than 35,000 vehicles per day. Sacher said volumes on Kenaston have been upwards of 50,000 vehicles a day for decades, and recent data show between 60,000 and 70,000 vehicles travel Kenaston daily.

Alexandra Paul

Alexandra Paul
Reporter

Alexandra is a veteran news reporter who has covered stories for the Winnipeg Free Press since 1987. She held the medical beat for nearly 17 years, and today specializes in coverage of Indigenous-related issues. She is among the most versatile journalists on the paper’s staff.

Read full biography

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

History

Updated on Tuesday, November 27, 2012 at 9:02 PM CST: edit

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us