Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/10/2012 (1768 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Events will be held throughout Winnipeg on Thursday for the inaugural National Day of Action for missing and murdered indigenous women.
The Assembly of Manitoba Chiefs and the newly formed Manitoba Coalition for Missing and Murdered Indigenous Women have officially recognized the day, and start things with a sunrise ceremony at the Oodena Celebration Circle at The Forks at 7:30 a.m.
Other events include:
- 9:30 a.m. to noon, Call for Immediate Action postcard distribution at Walmart-Lindenwoods
- 10 a.m. to noon, Wanting to Belong, a forum on gangs and violence, Sinclair Community Centre, 90 Sinclair St.
- 10:30 a.m. to noon, Moving Forward on Safety and Protection of Indigenous Women and Girls, AMC office, 1st floor, 275 Portage Ave.
- 10:30 a.m. to noon, 60s Scoop, Children’s Aid Society, AMC office
- 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Community Circle, West Central Women’s Resource Centre, 640 Ellice Ave.
- 1 p.m. to 4 p.m., Structural Violence, "Manitoba Made Disaster-Flooding Catastrophic Effects on First Nation Communities," Indian & Metis Friendship Centre, 45 Robinson St.