September 22, 2017

Winnipeg
12° C, Light rain showers

Full Forecast

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Katz hopeful deal close on Kapyong

Mayor Sam Katz said he hopes the federal government and Manitoba's First Nations are close to reaching a deal over the former Kapyong Barracks.

Earlier this week, Sagkeeng Chief Donavan Fontaine confirmed seven First Nations represented by Treaty 1 could reach a deal with the federal government by the end of the week.

Several First Nations say they are owed surplus federal land and were not properly consulted before Ottawa transferred most of Kapyong to Canada Lands, the Crown redevelopment firm. The issue has been tied up in court since 2005.

The City of Winnipeg cannot move forward with its plan to widen Kenaston to six lanes between Ness and Taylor avenues without negotiating for a portion of the Kapyong land.

Subscribers Log in below to continue reading,
not a subscriber? Create an account to start a 30 day free trial.

Log in Create your account

Add a payment method

To read the remaining 60 words of this article.

Pay only 27¢ for others you wish to read.

Hope you enjoyed your trial.

Add a payment method

To read the remaining 60 words of this article.

Pay only 27¢ for others you wish to read.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 28/11/2012 (1759 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Mayor Sam Katz said he hopes the federal government and Manitoba's First Nations are close to reaching a deal over the former Kapyong Barracks.

Earlier this week, Sagkeeng Chief Donavan Fontaine confirmed seven First Nations represented by Treaty 1 could reach a deal with the federal government by the end of the week.

Mayor Sam Katz

BORIS MINKEVICH / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS ARCHIVES

Mayor Sam Katz Purchase Photo Print

Sagkeeng First Nation Chief Donavan Fontaine envisions partnering with Ottawa to develop the Kapyong Barracks site for commercial and residential uses.

JOHN WOODS / WINNIPEG FREE PRESS

Sagkeeng First Nation Chief Donavan Fontaine envisions partnering with Ottawa to develop the Kapyong Barracks site for commercial and residential uses. Purchase Photo Print

Several First Nations say they are owed surplus federal land and were not properly consulted before Ottawa transferred most of Kapyong to Canada Lands, the Crown redevelopment firm. The issue has been tied up in court since 2005.

The City of Winnipeg cannot move forward with its plan to widen Kenaston to six lanes between Ness and Taylor avenues without negotiating for a portion of the Kapyong land.

Katz said he hopes the two sides will reach a deal.

"If they can resolve the issue outside of court it's very positive," he said following this morning's executive policy committee meeting. "We know there's millions of dollars flushed down the toilet that no one is benefiting from as a result of the land just sitting vacant."

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

We are no longer accepting comments on this story as most submissions did not meet our terms.

Why aren't comments accepted on this story? See our Commenting Terms and Conditions.