Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 17/11/2009 (2834 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
A Winnipeg tot got sick this past weekend after drinking expired baby formula.
José Emond said he grabbed a can of Nestle Follow-up ready-to-serve infant formula at the Shoppers Drug Mart on Dakota Street early Sunday evening. He fed it to his nine-month-old son, Jacob, and within two hours the baby was throwing up.
The Emonds took Jacob to a walk-in clinic and the doctor said ingesting a new kind of formula should not have caused the baby to become sick. Only after she got home did Emond's wife, Melissa, see the formula's printed expiry date was Jan. 19, 2009.
José Emond then went to a baby nutrition specialist, who told him Jacob's reaction is typical when an infant ingests micro-organisms that form in expired food.
He said he called Shoppers' headquarters and they offered him a $100 Shoppers card, but that's not what he's concerned about.
"I want to make sure this stops happening," Emond said. When he returned to the store to confront the manager, Emond said, he saw two full cases with the same expiry date still on the shelf. A spokesperson for Shoppers Drug Mart told CTV News store shelves should be checked on a weekly basis.
The spokesperson said the items in question have been removed and protocols have been improved to make sure it doesn't happen again.