Police remained throughout the day outside the Cityplace parkade on Hargrave Street, where a teenaged girl, who was a foster child, was attacked before dawn.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 2/4/2015 (2397 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Police remained throughout the day outside the Cityplace parkade on Hargrave Street, where a teenaged girl, who was a foster child, was attacked before dawn.

The street was cordoned off well into the afternoon, reopening the street late in the afternoon.

The entire front area of the parkade was still taped off, including the entrance where it is suspected the girl was attacked.

As of Wednesday evening, no one had been arrested, police said.

Police vehicles were posted at the site into the early evening, but it was not clear who was inside.

Cadets remained outside the parkade after dark.

It was unclear what might have been going on inside the parkade, but a large security camera was perched at the top of the building, offering what was presumably a clear view of the stretch of Hargrave Street and anyone going in or out.

A clearly visible security camera was also mounted outside the downtown hotel where it is believed the girl was staying -- a short walk from the parkade.

As darkness fell, it was not clear if any of the other foster children being housed at the hotel were still there or if they had been moved. At any rate, there were no teenagers entering or coming out.

Police offered limited information, saying they were continuing to investigate a serious assault near the parkade at about 4.45 a.m.

A passing police cruiser was flagged down and officers were alerted an injured woman was in the parkade. She was suffering from serious injuries and was taken to hospital in critical condition.

Family Services Minister Kerri Irvin-Ross said later the victim was a teenager under the care of Child and Family Services, but being temporarily housed in a downtown hotel. The attack prompted her to set a June 1 deadline to stop housing foster children at hotels.

How the victim came to be out of the hotel and away from CFS staff is expected to be part of the investigation.

According to media reports, the girl and other foster children staying in the hotel were outside the hotel.

When the other girls went back inside, the victim did not join them.

Another girl also placed at the hotel told a reporter she "knew something bad was going to happen, and I told (the victim) and (the victim's friend) to come in too, but they didn't come in, they decided to stay outside."

The girl said there is "lots of supervision, we're not allowed to go anywhere without our staff, but once we're off the property, they don't follow us."

Irvin-Ross told reporters CFS staff will not restrain children who try to leave the hotels.

Provincial officials are still facing questions about the slaying last August of Tina Fontaine, another teenage girl who went missing while in care of a child welfare agency.

Fifteen-year-old Tina had also been housed temporarily in a hotel.

Her body, wrapped in plastic, was found dumped in the Red River on Aug. 17, just over a week after she ran away from social workers who were caring for her.