A Winnipeg man who had the chills while on holiday in Mexico earlier this month, thought the air conditioning at his resort was to blame. He later tested positive for COVID-19 and became Manitoba’s 26th case.
On Friday, more than two weeks after getting sick, and on his 17th day of quarantine, Ryan Caligiuri, 34, said he feels better, but he must continue to self-isolate until he receives the results of his latest test.
"I'm waiting for a negative test," Caligiuri said on Friday. "Until then, I still have to follow the social distance protocol... this was definitely worse than the flu."
Caligiuri said he contracted the virus while vacationing in Cabo San Lucas with three friends. His friends also isolated themselves upon their return, but never got sick.
"I started to get chills while I was sitting on the beach," he said. "I just thought it was because of the air conditioner being on all night in the room and blowing on me. But as I started coming home, I started feeling worse.
"I had it for sure - chills, a fever of 102 F (38.9 C), and fatigue. I called Health LInks."
Caligiuri said he was told to get tested and afterward, he waited at home for the results.
"It was harder than I expected it to be," he said. "The fatigue was the next level. I would sleep 20 hours a day.
"I would have to motivate myself to get up to get some soup or a drink... it just zaps the energy from you. For about a week, it really took me down, but after (that), I slowly got better."
Caligiuri said by the time he got notice that he had tested positive for COVID-19, he felt better.
"They said they wanted to let me know, and then they asked, 'Are you sitting down?' They said you came back positive and I said 'Oh, yeah, I thought I did. I kind of knew I had it based on the symptoms.' But she said she was surprised because other people didn't react that way."
Caligiuri said thanks to family, friends and the community — as well as Skip the Dishes — it was easy for him to self-isolate. "People would put food by the gate and I would go out to get it."
Caligiuri is not the only Winnipegger who has spoken to the Free Press after testing positive for COVID-19.
Caligiuri said he has three pieces of advice to people based on his experience.
"People need to not allow the panic of the virus to get the best of them," he said.
"Is it scary? Yes. But it's not the virus I'm worried about, it is the panic."
Caligiuri advised people to get information from organizations such as the World Health Organization, and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Caligiuri directed his final piece of advice at millennials.
"People my age are not taking this seriously," he said.
"They're not adhering to social distancing. I feel that is quite foolish and doing your community a disservice. if I'd gone out, look who I would have put at risk. It's not about you, it's about other people in our community.
"We need to think about others."
A man in his 70s, who was the province's fifth positive case, said more than a week ago that he considered himself "extremely lucky."
The man, who didn't want to be identified, said: "After one day of flu-like symptoms, I have had minimal discomfort. "Other than the occasional sporadic cough, which is normal for me after a cold, I have been symptom-free for a few days... yes, I have had colds (and) flu worse than what I’ve experienced with COVID-19, but that’s not true for everyone," he said last week.
On Friday, the man declined to comment about his recovery.
Kevin Rollason is one of the more versatile reporters at the Winnipeg Free Press. Whether it is covering city hall, the law courts, or general reporting, Rollason can be counted on to not only answer the 5 Ws — Who, What, When, Where and Why — but to do it in an interesting and accessible way for readers.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.