WINNIPEG - A charge has been stayed for a woman who testified that she was tortured, beaten and burned in the months before her housemate's body was found decomposing in a barrel behind their home.
Lawyer James Wood says a charge of being an accessory after the fact against Jessica Reid, 37, was stayed in September. He says his client was under duress from significant abuse when she helped dispose of the body in 2016.
"She was tortured right up until the time that this happened," Wood said Tuesday.
"Now she has to put her life back together after dealing with this for so many years."
Perez Cleveland, 46, was found guilty last year of first-degree murder in the death of Jennifer Barrett, who was 42. The conviction carries a mandatory life sentence without possibility of parole for 25 years.
During sentencing, Court of Queen's Bench Chief Justice Glenn Joyal called Cleveland a "curator of a house of horrors."
The trial heard that Cleveland shared a house in Winnipeg with his adult daughter and five women, who were described as "sister wives."
Four of the women testified that Cleveland was initially charming but turned psychologically and physically abusive.
Reid said she met Cleveland in 2015 when she was buying methamphetamine. When she was evicted from her apartment, she moved in with him and the other women. In her testimony, she described beatings with hammers, golf clubs and extension cords.
Court heard that Cleveland became fixated on the idea that Barrett was cheating on him and tortured her for days until she died. Reid told court she saw the other woman stumble out of the laundry room and fall to the floor.
When asked why she helped another one of the women, Holley Sullivan, clean up after Barrett's death, Reid told court she was scared for her life.
Sullivan is serving time after pleading guilty for her role in hiding the body.
Reid testified the abuse worsened after Barrett died until one morning she ran away to a neighbour's home and called police.
This report by The Canadian Press was first published Jan. 14, 2020
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.