January 18, 2018

Winnipeg
-5° C, Overcast

Full Forecast

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

'Clumsy Don Juan' case back in court

Crown asks for four-year prison term

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 9/10/2013 (1561 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Justice officials are seeking a four-year prison term for the man at the centre of a controversial rape case. Kenneth Rhodes, 43, was convicted earlier this year of a 2006 sexual assault on a young woman in Thompson.

Rhodes has requested a conditional sentence that would allow him to remain free in the community.

Court of Queen's Bench Justice Lori Spivak reserved her decision.

Rhodes had pleaded not guilty to the attack, which involved forced anal, vaginal and digital intercourse in a wooded area outside Thompson, claiming sex with the 20-year-old woman was consensual. But Spivak said his version of events wasn't credible.

Subscribers Log in below to continue reading,
not a subscriber? Create an account to start a 60 day free trial.

Log in Create your account

Add a payment method

To read the remaining 262 words of this article.

Pay only 27¢ for articles you wish to read.

Hope you enjoyed your trial.

Add a payment method

To read the remaining 262 words of this article.

Pay only 27¢ for articles you wish to read.

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 9/10/2013 (1561 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Justice officials are seeking a four-year prison term for the man at the centre of a controversial rape case. Kenneth Rhodes, 43, was convicted earlier this year of a 2006 sexual assault on a young woman in Thompson.

Rhodes has requested a conditional sentence that would allow him to remain free in the community.

Court of Queen's Bench Justice Lori Spivak reserved her decision.

Rhodes had pleaded not guilty to the attack, which involved forced anal, vaginal and digital intercourse in a wooded area outside Thompson, claiming sex with the 20-year-old woman was consensual. But Spivak said his version of events wasn't credible.

Rhodes first went on trial in 2011 and was also found guilty. But his sentencing hearing made national headlines after Justice Robert Dewar suggested the victim may have been partially to blame for what happened.

Dewar called Rhodes, a "clumsy Don Juan" who may have misunderstood the victim. He noted the victim wore a tube top, high heels and plenty of makeup and cited her flirtatious behaviour.

"Sex was in the air," Dewar said. Rhodes was given a conditional sentence after Dewar rejected the Crown's bid for a three-year prison term.

Dewar's comments immediately came under attack after they were reported in the Free Press. Politicians of all stripes joined student and feminist groups and those who work with sexual assault victims in decrying the comments. Many said they feared Dewar's remarks would deter other victims from coming forward.

The Canadian Judicial Council, which has authority over more than 1,100 federally appointed judges, received several complaints about Dewar and launched an investigation.

The council decided no formal discipline was required, calling Dewar's conduct an "isolated incident." It noted Dewar agreed his comments were "totally inappropriate" and he had apologized directly to the victim "for the hurt she must have experienced from my comments." He has also taken gender-equity counselling and has resumed his duties.

Both Rhodes and the Crown filed appeals. The Crown wanted the conditional sentence replaced with a prison term, while Rhodes wanted the conviction set aside.

The Appeal Court ordered a new trial, which was held in Thompson at the end of April and May.

www.mikeoncrime.com

Read more by Mike McIntyre.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.