August 19, 2017


16° C, Clear

Full Forecast


Advertise With Us

Demolition at scene of alleged murder

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 29/1/2014 (1297 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

WALLS were ripped from the Winnipeg garage where police allege Chad Davis was brutally murdered after it became public the young man's body was found in a barrel pulled from the Lee River near Lac du Bonnet.

Evidence that demolition was done at a garage at 703 Prince Rupert Ave. was the focus of Crown witness testimony Wednesday at the first-degree murder trial of Corey Tymchyshyn, 37, and Kristopher Brincheski, 31. They have pleaded not guilty and are presumed innocent.

The men are accused of killing Davis in the garage on Feb. 6, 2008 and then disposing of his body in the Winnipeg River. Davis wasn't found until July 23 that year, when cottagers opened the plastic barrel Davis had been put in.

A woman living nearby told court that sometime after seeing media reports about Davis's death, she saw men doing demolition work at the garage. It was before she noticed RCMP turned up to search it, she said.

Kevin Marchand worked for Tymchyshyn's and Brincheski's roofing business in the summer of 2008, he testified. He's been a friend of Tymchyshyn's since they were small children, he said.

While Marchand couldn't be sure when he heard of Davis's death, he recalled Tymchyshyn asking if he wanted to make some extra cash by helping at the garage.

He, Tymchyshyn and Brincheski tore out some particle board "false walls," from the structure, he said.

The wood was piled into a trailer, and Tymchyshyn allowed Marchand to give it to his brother, who was doing renovation work in Anola, Marchand said.

The trailer sat at his dad's house in North Kildonan for a couple of weeks, said Marchand. Tymchyshyn never asked him to burn, destroy or hide the materials, he said.

Marchand's brother, Robert Marchand, said the wood was delivered to his Anola property and he used it to put walls up in an old horse barn. He didn't know where the wood originated from. "It wasn't new. You could tell it was taken from somewhere," Robert said.

Within two weeks of having received the wood, he said police called him and came out to seize it.

RCMP forensic analyst Cpl. Maria Forester testified a total of 18 bits of black and white plastic were seized from several of the boards. Believing they were similar to the black and white tarp Davis's body was found wrapped in, the RCMP sent them off for testing, court heard.

The results of any tests on the plastic have not been disclosed.

Tymchyshyn told police Davis left 703 Prince Rupert Ave. in a taxi with luggage from his Jeep. Available records show no cab was ever dispatched to the home.


Advertise With Us

Comments are not accepted on this story because they might prejudice a case before the courts.

Why aren't comments accepted on this story? See our Commenting Terms and Conditions.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more