August 19, 2017


27° C, A few clouds

Full Forecast

Severe thunderstorm watch in effect


Advertise With Us

End nears for lengthy inquest into Sinclair's death

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 8/6/2014 (1167 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

The end of witness testimony is in sight for the inquest looking into the death of Brian Sinclair, which resumes today.

It has heard from 79 witnesses during off-and-on hearings stretched over 10 months and will hear this week from its two last witnesses before closing arguments.

Brian Sinclair

Brian Sinclair

At the end of this week, provincial court Judge Tim Preston will close this stage of the inquest and begin an anticipated several months of writing his final report with recommendations.

It likely means when the report comes out, more than six years will have gone by since Sinclair died.

Before that happens, Dr. Grant Innes, a professor at the University of Calgary who is an expert in managing delays in emergency rooms as well as overcrowding and flow-through, will testify today, followed the next day by an aboriginal health expert.

The Sinclair family has long hoped for answers to the question of how medical staff at the Health Sciences Centre emergency room could have missed and ignored the 45-year-old man, a double amputee who used a wheelchair to get around, during the 34 hours he sat in the waiting room for treatment that never came on Sept. 21, 2008.

A coroner told the inquest Sinclair could have died up to seven hours before he was discovered unconscious. Emergency room medical staff attempted to revive him but stopped when they realized he had been dead so long rigor mortis was beginning to set in.

For several weeks, there has been no input from the Sinclair family because they ordered the lawyers who were representing them to pull out of the inquest after the judge made an order restricting the areas the hearings would delve into and not explore aboriginal marginalization in the health-care system. It's the same reason given by lawyers for Aboriginal Legal Services of Toronto and Ka Ni Kanichihk, which also pulled out of the inquest.

The family has since repeated calls for a public inquiry into the matter, the same call made before the provincial government decided to call an inquest instead.

After the two witnesses have testified and been questioned, the rest of the week will see final arguments including from inquest counsel, lawyers for the WRHA, Health Sciences Centre, the Manitoba Nurses Union and the Sinclair family.

Read more by Kevin Rollason.


Advertise With Us


Updated on Monday, June 9, 2014 at 9:27 AM CDT: Adds live blog

You can comment on most stories on You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

New to commenting? Check out our Frequently Asked Questions.

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press print or e-edition subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

The Winnipeg Free Press does not necessarily endorse any of the views posted. By submitting your comment, you agree to our Terms and Conditions. These terms were revised effective January 2015.

Photo Store

Scroll down to load more