Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 20/8/2012 (2842 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Lilian Peck's family is suing the nursing home the province put under a microscope and blamed for neglect leading up to her death.
Peck died at the Sharon Home in Linden Ridge. Her treatment has been the focus of at least three provincial government investigations in the last two years.
But the lawsuit marks the first time Peck's family -- her daughters and grandchildren -- have taken legal action against the institution that is subject to provincial standards.
This time it's emotional and personal, said Marsha Palansky, Peck's daughter.
"Basically, it's to make sure this never happens again at Sharon Home or any other nursing home," Palansky said.
"It was a complete family decision, there were seven of us," Palansky added, listing her three adult children and her sister's family as parties to the suit.
"I want nursing homes to realize the elderly are still human beings. Sometimes we treat our beloved cats and dogs better than our seniors. I think that's horrible," Palansky said.
The lawsuit is asking for payment of funeral costs of $7,865.91, legal costs and unspecified damages.
A year ago, Manitoba Health determined Peck died after a skin infection -- brought on by sitting in diapers soiled with feces -- led to sepsis, a form of blood poisoning that can prove fatal.
Peck died Oct. 19, 2010 of multiple organ failure at Victoria General Hospital. She was 93.
Two days earlier, she'd been found feverish and unresponsive in her nursing home bed.
A year ago, media reports quoted provincial officials as describing the elderly woman's treatment in the home as "physical abuse by neglect."
The provincial Protection of Persons in Care Office (PPCO), which investigates allegations of abuse in hospitals and personal care homes, did not make the report public. But the Free Press obtained a copy of a letter from the province to the Simkin Centre, the corporate name for the home. It summarized some of its findings and the daughter confirmed the account again Monday.
In addition to the PPCO report, the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority conducted a review surrounding Peck's death and ordered two more reports: A performance-standards review due early next month and a review by an outside consultant on the facility's leadership and communication skills, including its dealings with patients' families.
The Canadian Press has reported one nurse lost her job and seven nurses were disciplined. The nursing home has since made improvements.
Sharon Home CEO Kathleen Klassen said in an email relayed by the health authority she'd only just learned about the lawsuit and had no comment. However, "the death of Mrs. Peck was a tragic incident for which we apologized to the family," Klassen wrote, repeating the actions taken since then.
"As a result of all of these measures, an action plan was developed in conjunction with the Winnipeg Regional Health Authority and Manitoba Health and with significant input from residents and families in order to ensure a high quality of care is provided to all our residents."
Palansky said her mother had health problems but she was alert and her care was good until the last two weeks of her life.
At that point, her care changed, Palansky said.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.