Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 5/11/2013 (2905 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
ONE of the owners of an Exchange District hotel where a man fell to his death says no one should have been living in the structure at the time.
Shortly before midnight on Monday, a 42-year-old man fell from a third-storey suite at the Royal Albert Arms, a century-old heritage building on Albert Street. The man was found in a parking lot on the south side of the hotel and died Tuesday following what police described as "an apparent fall."
Homicide investigators said they are treating the death as suspicious. The man was believed to be a tenant of the hotel, a police spokesman said.
The Albert is at the centre of an ownership dispute between former operator Daren Jorgenson and current operator Ray Rybachuk.
Jorgenson said no one was supposed to be living in the hotel without his permission and that of his estranged former partner. Rybachuk could not be reached for comment.
The Albert has a valid occupancy permit, City of Winnipeg spokeswoman Michelle Bailey said.
The hotel and the neighbouring building at 52 Albert St. will be auctioned off in January to settle the owners' dispute, Jorgenson said. The latter building has no permit for residential suites, though people have been living there, said Jorgenson. Several rooms at 52 Albert St. had been converted into sleeping and cooking quarters.
Police, meanwhile, continue to investigate the fall from the hotel.