Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 6/4/2017 (1145 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
It appears the Winnipeg Jets are bidding to bring the National Hockey League entry draft to the city, either in 2020 or 2021.
According to sources involved in the bid, some city hotels were contacted by NHL headquarters in New York late last week and asked to confirm they would be able to book blocks of rooms for the event that parades professional hockey’s top young prospects and attracts an international television audience.
Obtaining confirmation from hotels that they will make rooms available is part of the formal bid. Traditionally, the draft happens in late June, although that’s hotel high-season in these parts, and it’s not as if Winnipeg has all that many top-end downtown inns.
Perhaps not so coincidentally, by 2020, the city should have an additional 275 luxury rooms available because the future Sutton Place Hotel is part of the $400-million True North Square project.
The Winnipeg Jets’ parent company, True North Sports & Entertainment, is building True North Square in partnership with James Richardson & Sons Ltd., and the hotel is part of the last phase of construction that’s scheduled for completion in late 2019. That makes mid-2020 — rather than the Jets back-up date of 2021— look like an ideal time for the NHL and its future stars to be here to showcase the city in the summer and celebrate Winnipeg’s new landmark with us.
So what do the Jets, or more specifically True North, have to say about hotels being asked about setting aside rooms for the NHL entry draft and maybe even the event being timed to the completion of True North Square? Rob Wozny, True North’s vice-president of communications, responded to that via email Wednesday:
"At this point, all I can confirm is True North Sports & Entertainment is consistently exploring a variety of world-class sports and entertainment events to attract to Winnipeg, including the NHL draft. As always, when we have news to share about securing an event like the draft or others, I’ll let you know."
A nip and a tuck in
Earl Barish, the man who saved the city’s iconic Salisbury House restaurant chain a decade or so ago, made a point of returning home from his winter vacation in Palm Springs, Calif., just in time Sunday to celebrate the fifth anniversary of his made-over flagship operation at Pembina Highway and Stafford Street. And celebrate he did, personally handing out $5 gift cards and serving red velvet cake to everyone. Barish, a.k.a. "the Earl of Salisbury," couldn’t resist having a piece of the anniversary cake that was baked in Sals’ own commissary. He allowed himself that small indulgence after dropping about 20 pounds by power-walking for 65 minutes on 73 of the 77 days he was away. Barish joked he’s even able to tuck in his shirt for the first time in years.
Give the man a Salisbury "nip" with that tucked-in shirt.
He’s earned it.
Guess who was retired?
Heard a rumour recently that 73-year-old Jim Kale has finally retired from the Guess Who road show. True or false? Well, turns out it was true. But the retirement didn’t last long. Kale — who is an original member of the home-grown rock group and owns the band’s name — left the road last summer with the intention of letting drummer Garry Petersen — the other original in the tour ensemble — carry the banner.
Kale told me this week Petersen has been sidelined by health problems. Having at least one original member of the group is basically a must. "So, I was pressed back into service," Kale said this week.
When he decided to retire, it wasn’t because he didn’t enjoy playing the gigs. The travelling was getting to him.
Anyway, Kale is back on the road again. On Friday, the Guess Who will be appearing at the Golden Nugget in Las Vegas.