July 12, 2020

Winnipeg
23° C, Overcast

Full Forecast

Close this

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

MANFF still in charge of aid

Swamped Red Cross yet to replace group

Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 11/7/2013 (2558 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.

Last month, the Manitoba Association of Native Fire Fighters stepped away from flood evacuee assistance at the same time provincial and federal governments announced the Canadian Red Cross would replace them.

This month, MANFF is still in charge.

The Red Cross, meanwhile, is grappling with huge disasters from the Alberta flood to a runaway train that turned Lac-M©gantic, Que., into a deadly inferno. It is also doing its best to run an assessment of the needs of 2,000 evacuees who have been out of their homes for two years in Manitoba.

A Red Cross spokeswoman said this week the international aid agency still doesn't know when it will take over from MANFF.

"We are trying to move forward in the most expeditious manner," she said in an email from Ottawa.

Federal officials indicated this week the transfer won't happen overnight but that doesn't mean there isn't progress behind the scenes.

"We realize individuals are facing challenges due to the ongoing evacuations and we are ensuring that eligible evacuees will continue to have their accommodations paid for and will continue to receive (meal) per diems without disruption. The federal government is working with all parties to ensure a smooth transfer," a spokeswoman said in an email from the aboriginal affairs minister's office in Ottawa.

MANFF, an agency that trains firefighters and runs emergency evacuations on Manitoba First Nations, was never set up to handle evacuation services to thousands of people over the course of two years. It remains in charge of food and shelter for nearly 2,000 flood evacuees.

At Misty Lake Lodge, one evacuee said it's hard not knowing when the Red Cross will take over from MANFF. For Bertha Travers, that day can't come soon enough.

Misty Lake Lodge is the Gimli-area resort that's been at the centre of a controversy with MANFF over a $3-million debt from unpaid hotel bills plus claims senior staff used flood evacuee money to take pleasure trips for themselves.

For evacuees, there are complaints MANFF workers are routinely rude to them, sometimes intimidating and even drunk on the job.

Travers, 65, said three Red Cross representatives met last week with evacuees who gave them a first-hand account. The Red Cross is compiling an assessment, with recommendations, to advise the federal government on the best way forward for evacuee assistance. Travers said one MANFF worker paced the floor the entire time the Red Cross conducted its interviews

"There was a MANFF worker walking back and forth in front of the door. We were there for three hours," Travers said.

"He kept walking back and forth by the door when we were meeting with the Red Cross and then my son told me he questioned my granddaughter about what the meeting was about," she added.

The federal Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Department gives MANFF $656,000 a year in operating funds. Ottawa reimburses MANFF for most of the cost of flood-evacuee assistance, now in excess of $70 million. MANFF's job is registering evacuees, finding and paying for hotel accommodations or reimbursing evacuees for rent for private accommodations, arranging food and overseeing emergency evacuations.

-- with files from Mia Rabson

alexandra.paul@freepress.mb.ca

Advertisement

Advertise With Us

Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.

To those who have made donations, thank you.

To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.

The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.

While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.

After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.

If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.

We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.

The Free Press will close this commenting platform at noon on July 14.

We want to thank those who have shared their views over the years as part of this reader engagement initiative.

In the coming weeks, the Free Press will announce new opportunities for readers to share their thoughts and to engage with our staff and each other.

You can comment on most stories on The Winnipeg Free Press website. You can also agree or disagree with other comments. All you need to do is be a Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscriber to join the conversation and give your feedback.

Have Your Say

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press print or digital subscribers only. why?

Have Your Say

Comments are open to The Winnipeg Free Press Subscribers only. why?

By submitting your comment, you agree to abide by our Community Standards and Moderation Policy. These guidelines were revised effective February 27, 2019. Have a question about our comment forum? Check our frequently asked questions.

Advertisement

Advertise With Us