Arts & Life
Canstar Community News
Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 7/6/2012 (2956 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
The day after 400 Lake Manitoba flood victims met to discuss a class-action lawsuit against the province, the Selinger government said more than 65 per cent of victims of the 2011 flooding have received at least an initial compensation payment.
Infrastructure and Transportation Minister Steve Ashton said Thursday more than $366.4 million has been paid out by the province so far: $66.4 million under its Building and Recovery Action Program and $314 million under the Disaster Financial Assistance program.
"The compensation that's been paid out, we do not see this as being the final number," Ashton said told reporters. "There's still more to come."
Ashton also said the province wants to speed up compensation by hiring even more property assessors to conduct appraisals of flood-damaged properties. Just a month after bringing in eight new assessors from Quebec, the province will hire four more with the goal of having all appraisals completed by the end of August.
About 50 properties a week are being assessed.
Ashton said one reason for the pace of appraisals is that only now has water receded enough in areas near Lake Manitoba and Lake St. Martin to allow for safe road access.
"We have areas that are only just beginning to be in the position where we can really get into the recovery stage," Ashton said.
He also said the province has paid out more than $880 million to fight the flood and for recovery efforts. That number should climb to about $1 billion in the coming months.
On Wednesday night, 400 people attended an information session at Sisler High School to discuss the possibility of a class-action lawsuit against the province to win even more in compensation.
Many are residents and cottagers on Lake Manitoba who've complained for months about the cumbersome process to get compensation from the province for the loss of summer homes or the destruction of farm operations.
The Opposition Progressive Conservatives also used a large part of Thursday's question period to blast the government on what it claimed is this slow pace of compensating property owners for flood damages.
Ashton said his flood-recovery update was planned in advance of Wednesday night's meeting.
He also said the province has issued a request for proposals for a flood-mitigation study for the Lake Manitoba watershed, including Lake Winnipegosis, Dauphin Lake and the Shoal Lakes, and the Assiniboine River basin, including Lake of the Prairies and the Qu'Appelle and Souris rivers.
The independent consultant will be asked to identify potential methods for enhanced flood protection in these areas.
Paying for a flood
WHAT the province has paid out to date under the Disaster Financial Assistance program:
4,446 private or individual claims: $59,433,000
Of those, 906 were private claims on First Nations, with 98 per cent of these being inspected by the province.
The other 3,540 were non-First Nation private claims, with 99 per cent being inspected by the province.
Of the 185 public or municipal claims, $105,322,000 has been paid out.
Of the 15 government claims, $149,671,000 has been paid out.
The province expects DFA payments to top $500 million.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.