Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 14/1/2013 (2693 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
WINNIPEG museums are decrying the city's plan to cut their funding by 10 per cent.
Last week, city politicians tabled the city's $920-million operating budget, the plan that outlines how much Winnipeg will spend on everything from police to insect control in 2013. The budget included a 3.87 per cent property-tax hike and a plan to find $13.6 million in savings by delaying filling vacant positions and reducing grants to non-profit groups by $358,000.
Those non-profit groups include museums, which will all see their funding reduced by 10 per cent. The St. Boniface Museum will see its annual city funding drop from $450,000 to $400,000, the Transcona Museum will receive $139,500 instead of $155,000 and the Western Canada Aviation Museum will see its funding decline from $55,000 to $49,500.
On Monday, Manitoba Children's Museum executive director Diane Doth told council's protection and community services she was surprised by the city's decision to cut their capital and operating funding by $21,000. Doth said she initially thought the cut was a mistake, as the city will see increased revenue this year from the property-tax hike.
She asked the city to reinstate the funding, and said the museum may not be able to continue some programs for inner-city youth and schools without it.
"I couldn't believe it. I honestly thought it was not real," Doth said.
City of Winnipeg Museums Board chairman William Dowie said the arbitrary cuts to museums will have a "huge impact" and could result in the loss of services to the public, including reduced operating hours and staff.
"It's a very small amount for the city but it's a large effect," he said.
Mynarski Coun. Ross Eadie introduced a motion for the city to spend slightly more than $123,000 to restore museum funding to 2012 levels, saying Winnipeg could take the money from the proposed hike to councillors' discretionary ward budgets. The idea failed to pass a vote by council's protection and community services committee.
Coun. Jenny Gerbasi (Fort Rouge) has expressed concern the city plans to cut funding to museums, non-profits and community groups -- including the poverty-reduction strategy -- and at the same time, increase councillors' discretionary ward budgets by $40,000.
Your support has enabled us to provide free access to stories about COVID-19 because we believe everyone deserves trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
Our readership has contributed additional funding to give Free Press online subscriptions to those that can’t afford one in these extraordinary times — giving new readers the opportunity to see beyond the headlines and connect with other stories about their community.
To those who have made donations, thank you.
To those able to give and share our journalism with others, please Pay it Forward.
The Free Press has shared COVID-19 stories free of charge because we believe everyone deserves access to trusted and critical information during the pandemic.
While we stand by this decision, it has undoubtedly affected our bottom line.
After nearly 150 years of reporting on our city, we don’t want to stop any time soon. With your support, we’ll be able to forge ahead with our journalistic mission.
If you believe in an independent, transparent, and democratic press, please consider subscribing today.
We understand that some readers cannot afford a subscription during these difficult times and invite them to apply for a free digital subscription through our Pay it Forward program.
Updated on Tuesday, January 15, 2013 at 11:09 AM CST: corrects incorrect word