Hey there, time traveller!
This article was published 9/4/2021 (194 days ago), so information in it may no longer be current.
Local officials have extended their sympathies to the Royal Family following the death of Prince Philip, Duke of Edinburgh.
Buckingham Palace announced Friday morning that Prince Philip, 99, died at home.
Premier Brian Pallister said in statement he was "saddened" to learn of Prince Philip's passing and noted the "special relationship" Manitobans had with the Duke of Edinburgh.
Prince Philip's first visit to Manitoba dates back to 1951 during a royal tour. Since then, the Duke of Edinburgh visited the province for the opening of the Pan Am Games in 1967, celebrated Manitoba's Centennial in 1970, presented the Duke of Edinburgh Gold Awards in Thompson in 1984, visited Churchill in 1992 and toured communites affected by the "Flood of the Century" in 1997.
Pallister also encouraged Manitobans to visit the Lieutenant Governor of Manitoba's website (www.manitobalg.ca) to share condolences and memories in a virtual book of condolence that will be posted later today.
Lieutenant-Governor of Manitoba Janice C. Filmon also released a statement acknowledging Prince Philip's "compassion for and service to all Canadians."
"His Royal Highness will be deeply mourned by all and his legacy will continue through the thousands of young people who challenge themselves each year to achieve the Duke of Edinburgh Awards," said Filmon.
Mayor Brian Bowman called on Winnipeggers to join fellow Canadians and people across the Commonwealth to mourn Prince Philip.
"Throughout his life, his devotion to duty has always been inspiring; his deep concern for youth and the environment will surely continue to resonate far into the future," said Bowman.
"The Duke of Edinburgh was a member of the 'Greatest Generation,' and in so many ways his life and work exemplify its virtues. For this, for his countless good works, and for his steadfast friendship with Canadians, Winnipeggers will always remember him."